Looking Glass - Triage

Massive frame rate drop when I run the Linux client. (Host and VM are using A11)

I’m testing running Counterstike GO on a Windows VM. I can get 180 fps in one particular area of the map (this is with only the Windows LG client running) but as soon as I run looking glass on my Linux host the frames drop down to around 40.

I have passed my kb, mouse and GPU to Windows. I am not running a Spice server (-s option). I use Virt Manager and here is my libvirt config (http://pasted.co/75e55d28).

I have no clue what the issue is. Hopefully someone has an idea?

Just to be clear, the windows executable is the host, not the client.

Are you running CS:GO windowed or dedicated full screen?
What is your Guest GPU?
Are your drivers up to date?
What resolution are you running?

I have noted this framerate drop also in certain applications, and alt-tabbing in/out resolves it. If that corrects the problem it’s a driver issue.

The Windows exe is the host (looking-glass-host).
My guest GPU is a GTX 1060 3GB. Host is Intel UHD 630.
Drivers are dated September 399.24 (latest from Windows).
1080p full screen (not windowed).

But even the desktop looks like crap when using looking glass. I don’t see any input lag but there is ghosting when dragging windows around and I see some distortion, when moving windows, horizontally across the screen about 25% up from the bottom.

Screenshot/photo please?

I’m not able to capture these effects in a screenshot.

I think ghosting is the wrong term. I mean that the desktop frame rate seems really low so that when moving a window around the screen, it looks very laggy.

As for the line - I will try to explain better. Say there is an invisible line, 25% up from the bottom of the screen that runs the full length across it.

I move a window from the right to the left of the screen with the vertical middle of the window on this line. I can see that the bottom half of the window is slightly ahead of the top half by a few pixels.

This is a vsync artifact, you’re seeing two frames at once.

The vsync artifact isn’t a big deal but what can I do about the low fps? I just installed the newest drivers from Nvidia but it hasn’t made a difference.

This is the first time there has been a report of the DXGI capture causing a client side framerate drop of such significance. Are you running any other capture/streaming software perhaps?

Nope, nothing.

I am sorry, about the only suggestion I have at this point is to wait until A12 as quite a lot has changed that may have already fixed the issue you’re encountering.

When is A12 due to be released?

There is no scheduled timeline, it’s as I get free time to work on the project.

I’m running Arch currently but I’m going to install Debian and see if I have better luck. I’ll report back.

It is extremely doubtful that it will change anything as the slowdown is in the guest, not the host. It slows when the client runs as it’s not capturing until the client is running.

1 Like

Do you think there could be an issue when I compile the Linux client? It’s just that there is a rather messy output that I don’t understand.

I used https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/looking-glass-git/ to get the dependencies as the Debian ones don’t translate.

When I run make the output is:

Edited by gnif: Removed useless noise.

No, again, as stated above it is not an issue with the Linux client. The only thing that can slow down the game’s FPS is if there is an issue with the catpure itself, which is in the host executable.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, I need to figure out how to get updates on the forum on my email.

It looks like that fixed the problem, I will let you know if I find any problems.

Thanks (=

Go to Profile \ Preferences \ Emails

1 Like

What is the expected framerate / performance for LG at 4k resolution? I’ve seen very mixed reports.

Host CPU: i9-7980xe
Host GPU: Vega 64
Guest GPU: GTX 980 ti
Guest resolution: 3840x2160 (128MB shm)
LG version: a11

In some games it works fine at 60fps (The Witness), in some it slows down in the game proper (Dota 2 down to about 33fps), and at times it seems to have trouble on the windows desktop. I’m not sure what to attribute to what at this point.

Anything > 1200p at this time is not great. A12 when released has some substantial improvements, however profiling shows that we are limited by the capture speed of the guest video card itself now.

This may be better with NVFBC, but until fixed again I don’t know for sure yet.