Looking Glass - Triage

And what is your GPU?

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 590
CPU: Ryzen 2700x
MOBO: Taichi x470

I wonder why Looking Glass consumes 48% of GPU power, because Looking Glass host uses Windows Capture API and that is done on CPU as far as I know.

1 Like

After 20 minutes of use without issue, the looking glass client on master (163a2e5) can sometimes start stuttering. Restarting the client fixes this. I’m using EGL.

I am not sure when it started happening, but at least a month ago, what kind of info do you need?
Here is my .looking-glass-client.ini

[win]
maximize=yes
borderless=no
fpsLimit=60

[egl]
vsync=yes

I have not yet tried with vsync off but will try later today.

Ugh.

I need to read through this whole thread.

Hmm, no secondary GPU? Looking Glass require two distinct GPU chips (RX580 + RX590, for instance), so unless you got that covered…

I recommend you to either buy the cheapest GPU you can find or downgrade CPU to a 3400G (in case you cannot easily fit a second GPU in your case).

fpsLimit=60???

Why are you doing this? As has been stated over and over and over again, the client side FPS limit MUST be 2x the monitor’s refresh rate or more to ensure that frames are not missed and the behavour you have described is exhibited.

If you’re talking about the title in the guest, don’t turn it off, the capture application needs some GPU resources to capture frames, if you let the title run at 100% GPU utilisation the capture performance WILL suffer.

No, the GPU hands us the frame, the Windows API just asks the GPU for it and asks the GPU to transfer it to system ram so that it can be processed, all the lifting is done in the GPU.

1 Like

I have, I have, first I run VGA passthrough, now I am trying looking glass. I have:
Host: Nvidia 8400 GS
Guest: RX590
I though about passed GPU only :slight_smile:.

So it means that in VM there is basically zero CPU usage of Looking Glass? CPU works mainly in host OS during frame copying and displaying?

Please forgive my ignorance. It must be frustrating to repeat yourself often and I do apologize. Removing the fps limit seems to have fixed it.

1 Like

I still get the stuttering issue I mentioned even with FPS limit at the default setting. The client runs great for a while but sometimes will begin stuttering. Closing the client and opening it again fixes this. I disabled all non-standard options except maximize.

Here is a video.

This popped up in the log sometimes:

[E]            texture.c:316  | egl_texture_process            | glClientWaitSync failed
1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful as I have seen this here also, I will have a dig and see if I can identify the cause.

2 Likes

any reason why so high gpu usage? it was using more to use lookingglass then to render the game

High resolution, high refresh, and you have broken the rules and turned off vsync. So yeah, it’s going to consume every inch of GPU resources you have.

I’m trying in a fresh installation of Debian 10, and I get now:

[I] main.c:996 | run | Looking Glass (B1-rc6-6-gb979752989+1)
[I] main.c:997 | run | Locking Method: Atomic
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x3000002
Serial number of failed request: 102
Current serial number in output stream: 102

But I don’t see anything wrong with /dev/shm/looking-glass file.

This is not a shm issue. LG can’t create an OpenGL context, make sure you have appropriate GFX drivers installed and check that glxgears works.

I have nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver installed and glxgears doesn’t work.

Not a LG issue then, if you can’t figure this out please create a new thread here asking for assistance :slight_smile:

Ok, I will try, thank you :grinning:.

1 Like