Looking for KVM advice

Hi all. I’m new here and was hoping to get some help.

I’m in the market for a new KVM to replace the Iogear unit I’ve had for 9 years. I have two computers: A MacBook Pro for work and a Dell XPS 8930 purchased in December 2019 for home. I also have external speakers, a separate USB microphone, and a Logitech webcam–all of which I use on both machines.

I currently have a Dell 3008WFP 30” monitor but will replace it with a Dell 49" super ultrawide (U4919DW). I don’t envision having more than two computers or one monitor.

Here are my questions:

1. It appears that the DISPLAY PORT 1.4 KVM SWITCH - SINGLE MONITOR is the closest fit. Is that correct? I don’t know if DisplayPort 1.4 is needed but I don’t see a 2-port unit with 1.2.
  2. In general, what’s the difference between the various brands? I was interested in Wendell’s comment that the L1 KVM “is not perfect.” Are there any brands closer to perfect? If so, in what way?
  3. Over the years I’ve tried to use a docking station or other peripheral, only to be told it won’t work with a KVM or won’t work as well (e.g., Logitech webcam won’t focus as well when a KVM is in the mix). Is that true with all KVMs, just older ones, those from certain manufacturers? Would L1 KVMs be any better in this regard?
  4. What should I do? :slightly_smiling_face: I generally like to buy high quality and then keep it for a long time.

Thanks for any information and suggestions!

1. if you dont need high refresh you can get away with 1.2 most likely, just make sure w/e you end resolution is that it can be carried by the spec.

2. They all have their flaws, but wendells has custom firmware he was made to work best for enthusiast type things. You also get direct support here from him and other forum members compared to issues with another company. In the end they are all pretty similar for normal users

3. All KVMs do have issues for sure, hard to tell without testing.

4. You should purchase what fits your use case best. I have 2 L1T Kvms (dual monitor 4 port 1.2 and two port 1.4). With DP you need to make sure you have quality cables and I have head from wendell and others that Macs can have issues (forget which one was specific)

1 Like

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. This helps a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.