Looking for CPU cooler recommendation

I am looking for a new CPU cooler as part of an upgrade to a system I use to run random things on the side. Current specs as follows:

Intel Core i3-2100
Intel Stock Cooler
Gigabyte Z77 Mobo
8GB DDR3 (Teamgroup)
RTX3060 (Gigabyte)
850w PSU (FSP)
240GB SSD (SP)
Nzxt H510 Case

I have purchased a Core i7-3770 as an upgrade to this system and I am looking for a new cooler for less than $50 brand new from Amazon. My requirements for a cooler:

1. Air cooling only. I don’t want to be dealing with leaks.
  2. Should have compatibility with the newest platforms (AM4, AM5, LGA1700 etc.) so I don’t have to throw it away when I want to upgrade the entire platform
  3. No LEDs, No RGB

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.C is probably as good as you can get in that price range

1 Like

When you do upgrade the entire platform, are you still looking to stay in the mid-range tier?

Yes.

for the money you wont get better.

2 Likes

I was just about to recommend this one.

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily a bad choice, either, but it may not be suited for AM5 depending on the Z height of the mounting system.

The Peerless Assassin is bulky and really light for it’s size so I wouldn’t recommend it as it may cause issues further down the road with clearance etc.

Looking at Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.C CPU Cooler review - Article Mugen 5C performs slightly better than FUMA 2 Rev B. Looking at GN’s video (i flipped through it quickly), FUMA 2 performs slightly worse (a few C) than the non SE variant so I’m going to say they’re pretty much the same in the end.
(SE is apparenly pretty much the identical according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AAqbv4m1A )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm4hyIHe1PM

psst check out the physical dimensions of the p-a-c…

• Model Number: SCMG 5200
  • Dimensions: W 136.0 x D 109.5 x H 154.5 mm
  • Weight: 900 g / 31.7 oz

where as the thermalright, measures 110mm in width, 155mm in height, 125mm in depth, and it weighs 730g.

so claiming it will be bulky in comparison when its literally 20% less massive.
while being 1mm wider, and higher. :wink:
and no i wont cause issues with clearance later.

oh yeah and its also half the price while it gives comparable cooling.

Depth is where you may run into issues, also you want mass because that allows better cooling in general. I’m also not sure why you’re linking to Amazon.co.uk when stated target price is in USD. In addition I don’t see why you’d want more fans than necessary. Guess I’m getting old and practical :wink:

Thermalright Peerless Assassin
USD it’s $30-ish. It’s also been confirmed to mount to AM5 without any Z height issues.

For RAM clearance the front fan can be moved up slightly for taller heatsinks with negligible performance impact.

Thermalright is the go to for budget air coolers and their fans are actually decent performers for being cheaper fans. Although I’ve heard there was recently a new revision of the fans, so watch out for that.

I picked up a 6-pipe single tower Burst Assassin with nickle cold plate for $23 on sale. It keeps my 13400f below 50C at max draw and I plan on upgrading to a 14th gen i5/i7 using the same cooler.

2 Likes

This one? I’d only be worried about it not making enough contact with the newer elongated Intel IHS, but not a bad choice.

I have the Burst Assassin and it’s just shockingly good for the size/cost. Handled my 13600K even with P2 at like 250W.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed anything, but I am also using an aftermarket contact frame as well.

Are you running it with one fan or two?

For the 13600K I ran it with 2. Dropped temps by a few degrees C. I also have an aftermarket cpu retention frame, for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

I picked up a 3-pack of the thermalright rgb pwm fans for $13 running push, pull, and exhaust.

If height is NOT much a concern- Darkrock4 can be an absolute brute
[*pending on when made, may need to request newer socket support bits, from beQuiet]
Other viable options being
Sycthe Mugen [Rev. C now more readily available]
Sycthe Fuma 3 [V2 is also V. Good]
Deepcool AG620 / AK620
Thermalright Peerless 120

If space should become a limitation, towards any future build
Thermalrights AX120-X67* may do VERY well, to its OV sizing [see image below]
*will support to LGA1700 natively; AM4 for sure, but don’t recall if AM5 ready
Thermalrights AX90 series also viable [+full Cu variant option], if concerned on RAM height
Most overbuilt Downdraft Heatsink, would be Noctuas C14S [at 115mm height]