Looking for Case recommendations for my VFIO setup

Hello, I am new to the community, first forum post for me. I am looking for some help on a case recommendation or alternative solution (i.e. doesn’t involve buying a new case).

I am currently running a RX 5700XT for my nobara linux host and passing a 3080 TI to my windows VM. The issue I am facing is that the cards take up several spots on my motherboard and leaves me no space to access my pci-e x4 slots. I believe I could resolve this by having one of the video cards running via riser cable to a vertical mount (for example, the Hyte Y70 case). I have no experience running riser cables, but it seems to me that the riser cable would likely be in the way of my other PCI-e cards I want to attach. Lastly, I was hoping to be able to use my current desk mount for my case as well.

Any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series DDR4 3200 4x16GB
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
AVerMedia GC573 Live Gamer 4K (not able to use, no space available)
Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen4 1TB
WD Black 1TB
WD Black 2TB
Corsair RM850x
Antec P100 case

Computer mount: https colon //www dot amazon dot com/gp/product/B07KXD9C54

Could you put the AVerMedia on a riser? A 1x riser will let you plug in a 4x card, then it’s a question of if 1x bandwidth is enough.

Just a small warning. I’ve found in my Corsair 3000D case that GPUs on the motherboard are so tall, that the vertical GPU slot is practically unusable for a second GPU. I’d imagine you’d run into this situation in other cases as well.

Some motherboards have little divets at the back of PCIe 1x slots that lets you plug in larger PCIe cards (Or you can make them yourself). Otherwise you could switch to a motherboard that does this? Or has a better PCIe layout for you?

1 Like

I had considered a riser cable for the avermedia card. I was originally only looking at PCI-e 4.0 x4 riser cables, and I came across one that is on Amazon. Most of the photos are rendered graphics and it is sold by a company based out of China that I know nothing about, there are no reviews. I’ll have to widen that search to inclue PCI-e 3.0.

With regards to the case, I figured I would run into issues with cards running into each other. That’s why I was hoping to find one with a mount off to the side, attached by a riser cable; and that would still allow me to make use of the normal slots without hindrance. I thought the Hyte Y70 case might be a solution but I don’t know how much flexibility those riser cables have if it could be maneuvered around the outside of the normal pci slots. I’ve never used one before, so I am quite weary of them due to stories of the cables melting/burning and causing a fire.

1 Like

For PCIe 3, you can get some pretty decent length. Three Metres

1 Like

Ha, I’ve not seen that video before. I’ve decided to give a pci-e 3.0 x4 riser cable on amazon a try, it had some reviews already and should suffice for a solution.

I’ve also emailed the Hyte company to see if their case is capable of a dual gpu setup.