Looking for budget friendly server racks to condense my pc setup

Hey all!

I am looking to condense the horizontal space I take up on my desk, so I want to get a server rack that I can place on my desk, and fit 3 pc rack-mountable cases in. I am checking out various places, general retailers and rack brands individually, and they are all a bit more expensive than what I thought I would need to spend. So, is there any good places to check out other than Marketplace for second-hand or budget-friendly server racks? I don’t need a 42U rack (right now, that will come later), but I just need to get more desk space back for the present time.

Also, I am looking at server cases, and I would like some suggestions for that too. My two leading options are a Rosewill RSV-L4620 or the Sliger CX4200a. I would ideally like something that would allow fans on the side, but I do not seem to be able to find that as an option. My beefiest PC needs room for a 5090, so I think 4U is the smallest I will get away with. I just want adequate cooling.

Anyways, thanks in advance! This is my first round looking at things like this, so I am not sure what I need to know or what is/is not important to worry about.

EDIT: I am in the US

1 Like

any chance of market?

presumably, you are not in far east, Australasia , near east, eastern Europe, or westerneurope

for the US (not Americas, with Mexico) there may be vendors for half racks, like serverpartsdeals or suchlike?

I edited the original post, I am in the US.

1 Like

I am deffo glad you are joining the Rack Lyfe!

sorry I can’t assist with deals, but hope your journey goes Awesomely!

and, even if you stick with old style cases, as long as you keep pushing, and changing, and experimenting, then even better!

1 Like

Hmm, it’s not quite as simple as that. My biggest question is this; do you want a full size PC, or are you looking more at blade/2U servers? Do you want half-depth, or full-depth? A 10U rack will take up at least ~17.5x23 inches / ~45x60 cm if placed on the side.

Racks

If you can compromise just slightly, and put the rack below / next to your desk, something like these two with 3U cases could work, especially if one case is 2U. Musician stores have often cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing racks, but I doubt you can get one for cheaper than $120 new.

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Recording-and-Computers/19-12U-Studio-Rack-Cabinet-by-Gear4music/1WV1

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Recording-and-Computers/Trojan-Pro-12U-Wheeled-Rack/6Q9G

There are plenty of options available, this was just the first store I found.

Cases

For the cases themselves, recommend you shop around for 2U and 3U, personally. I do recommend Sliger here, great US-based company that is mid-tier in price. They are a bit more expensive than the budget options, but the quality is pretty good and you will have support and warranties on that hardware, almost guaranteed. If anything goes wrong, you will have saved a ton of time and money by going with these guys. Here is a 2U and 3U chassi that seems promising, but do your own research and have a think about what you want, here. At ~$250 per case, it sure is an investment though.

Budget friendly options

Want something cheap? Take a gamble on Alibaba. They have a ton of cheap cases for $50-$150, but those cases are unknown quality, basically no warranty.

Other option is to shop around on ebay and buy second hand. Be careful about the depth! Some racks can go as deep as 25", standard is 22" or so. Desktop racks are more like 17-19" deep.

Good luck!