Looking for best local remote desktop solution

Hello all. Recently i had a few spare parts lying around and all i needed to have a full computer was ram and a hdd. I bought those and just put myself together a second computer. My issue is i dont have any spare monitors to use with this computer (had to use one of the monitors on my main rig to set it up) nor do i have the deskspace even if i did. I also dont have any good keyboard and mouse to use with it so what i wanted to do was set this computer up in another room (one thats not occupied and is not heated so it will stay cool) and then just remote desktop into it from my main rig.

I have fiddled around with chrome remote desktop but it just seems lacking in terms of performance, i tried to get the native windows remote desktop working but failed at that. Is there any remote desktop application that is more suited for use within in the same connection?

The windows remote desktop is pretty much the best there is, you should try to get that working.

I went into system settings on the control panel and enabled remote connections to this computer. Is there any more setup to it than that?

You may have to allow it through the firewall

How would i do that?

What are you trying to do remotely? If you are using this computer as a server couldn't you just install linux and ssh into it with putty? You really only need to learn a few basic terminal commands to manage a server using ssh.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx 

teamviewer works well and is free 

You can disable the windows firewall or you can make an exception for remote desktop. The options for it are in control panel somewhere.

I enabled it in the firewallper how it shows in the microsoft guide of setting it up but still nothing. When i try to connect i get:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons

1.Remote access to the server is not enabled

2.The remote computer is turned off

3.The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled

Try connecting to it using it's IP address rather than the host name. There's also an option in the same place you enabled remote connections which is something about allowing untrusted or insecure connections or something like that. Try enabling that option.

I think I found the issue. I had this computer hooked up via Ethernet but the Ethernet cord is sort of broke and it takes about 30 mins of the computer being on for it to connect to Ethernet. For the time being I was using my phone to USB tether my WiFi to the PC and while I was trying to connect my Ethernet finally connected and then I was able to remote in. I don't know if it was just coincidence or a issue with using a phone to USB tether or if its a issue with using wireless overall. I am going to have to get a WiFi adapter soon so I can actually put this PC in the took I need it hopefully there I sent issues with that

Or you can try Remote Desktop app in Chrome.

I stated that I already tried chrome remote desktop. The performance and quality are subpar

Sorry, I must've had missed that. I had ok experience with it (on par with teamviewer).

You could try any of the free remote desktops listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

Teamviewer. Run the one you take over as a service. then you can reboot and it will get back in the list when you can relog back in. Also when you work directly on the server you don't end the remote session as Windows RDP does.

The only thing Teamviewer doesn't like is when you play video trough teamviewer, but that is with every RDP program.

TeamViewer is great if your not on LAN but if you are and your looking for the most refined/simple experience I would highly recommend Splashtop Remote Desktop : http://www.splashtop.com/personal.

+1 for TeamViewer, very reliable and reasonably fast provided you have a half decent connection. Good file transfer functionality built in also.