Looking for an ATX case

I am looking to replace my Corsair 900D as it was a stupid decision to buy back then.

I want to sell it and allocate some of that money towards a better GPU.

I need something relatively small (so that it is transportable, unlike the 900D) with good airflow and the ability to mount my H320 320mm radiator on top for the Threadripper build I am planning.

Any ideas?

Fractal Meshify C

Radiator will have to go on front tho.

1 Like

be quiet! Silent Base 600

This is the compact version of the Silent Base 800 that I own.
Highly recommended, it’s the Mercedes of cases. So easy to work in.

This thing is very high-quality case with plenty of room for water cooling on top or in front. It’s is very quiet and available in steel or with a double pane plastic quiet window. The trim can be black, silver or orange. It’s about $120.

be quiet! also makes the Pure base 600 which is their bargain case. $90

1 Like

Phanteks Enthoo Pro.
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M.
Thermaltake F51
NZXT Noctis 450

1 Like

I recently (last 2 weeks) managed to get my grubby paws on the Deep Silence 6 Rev B and what a difference it has made to my TR 1920 setup.

This is not a small case and is not easily movable, but I would certainly consider it if airflow and cooling is of concern. I previously had a Coolermaster HAVX Full Tower case and just changing to this one has literally dropped my temps by around 15 degrees celcius with all identical equipment in the case.

Late to the party, as usual :slight_smile:
I know you’ve seen my other post, but will repeat it just in case; don’t go AIO unless you need to.
Do you need to?
You could get more or less the same cooling for less money (air cooler) and fit it all in a much smaller case.
(bonus? You won’t have your heat exchanger blowing all the heat inside your PC; still can’t fathom how folks are O.K. with that, it’s beyond me)
(oh, extra bonus; an air cooler won’t leak on you, won’t lose some of its performance after some time [happens with AIOs])

Now, easily movable with E-ATX, cooling for a 16core, a GPU plus other cards, drives, fans, cables and accessories is not exactly easy. How strong are you? ^^

If you need it moveable as in hand carried, find a test bench. The good ones are both sturdy and cube-y enough to accommodate.
If by moveable you mean on wheels and too heavy to lift, start focusing on what case is best for airflow plus fitting what you need.
(which by the way, you haven’t specified, not in the slightest)

In general then;

Best cases (and i mean best, way above the pack) for air cooling, in order of size:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=397 <— this would be me, in your shoes.
(same brand, yeah; not a coincidence)

Best cases for AIOs, whatever allows you to have the AIO blowing outside your PC, while still being fed with sufficient air from the front. Speaking of which, the CLC you chose isn’t designed for TR4 sockets… the plate size alone guarantees craptastic cooling compared to what i linked. Food for thought. Who suggested this…?

The above after some seriously, seriously long time spent on the subject of ‘cooling’; and after having parted with some serious amounts of money, because “independent” testing = knowledge + you.
As the Brits say, you want something done… do it yourself ^^

Go air, or go straight to custom water cooling loops. AIOs… only when forced to; you don’t sound forced to me :slight_smile:

Added some extra info, apologies for the multiple edits.

The thing is I already have the Swiftech H320 (the original version). I just had to order a $9 bracket to be able to fit it on the TR4 and AM4 sockets.

I have also configured it to pull the air out of the case but the VRM on the TR system makes me want to have the fans blowing to the inside, even if it is hot air that it is blowing. I really get what you are trying to say about blowing all the heat to the inside.

Swiftech actually recommended back then to reverse the rear fan to pull air in and have the radiator on top as exhaust. That makes it quite dusty though.

The plate size is larger than the Asetek AIOs and I think it is going to cover the dies comfortably even if it doesn’t cover the whole IHS. It looks a lot like the Enermax TR4 IMO.

Anyway, if I have any cooling woes, I will buy the Noctua cooler.

Thank you for the suggestions for the cooler, the fans and the cases!

1 Like

Don’t do what they’re suggesting unless you know what you’re doing. You’ll probably cause a warm air loop and make things worse. You can try the following, but… in most cases, it still won’t do you any good:

• You need the ‘rear fan’ location at as long a distance as possible from the top fans’ location. Which entails ‘modding’ your top, for obvious reasons.
  • You need the ‘rear fan’ location pushing air in at very low RPMs, while having the top fans pushing air out at very high RPMs.
  • Meaning you also need increase the front’s intake so as to compensate.
    Again though, not adviseable.

As to the VRM, no existing 399 motherboard has VRM thermal issues for a 2900/20/50X; none. If your chassis’s intake is adequate, they’ll be just fine.
(and even if they weren’t, hot air all over them would only make things worse)

As to the size, my fault perhaps; block is a more adequate term. Plate is external, block (and therefore the fin area below it) is what counts and is internal. Said fin area has dimensions relevant to 2011-3 or similarly sized IHSs. TRs have a significantly larger IHS and with a higher thermal density to boot. In anything water cooled, block is number one in terms of performance.
Check any review you want, ask whomever you want, it matters.
(the end of your post hints at some familiarity with this, the beginning however states the opposite, as AM4 and TR4 are not compatible; i know they have a separate AM4 kit you can purchase, but that won’t help fit the CLC in an SP3 socket mobo)

Last thing about that darn Enermax AIO, lol… it performs worse than a 280 would, due to its slimness. And a 280 performs about the same as a good air cooler; except it costs twice as much and lasts you a lot less :slight_smile:
Resting my case now… Honest!

And you’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like