Looking for advice or what products

I have a hp proliant ml 150 gen 5

Need help with graphics card…which one should I get?

I know what games am I going to be playing right? I am into below 100 fps

CPUs I’m looking for matching set

Need another fan and heat sink

I have a 650 power supply unit

What advice can you give and where can I get cheap but best satisfied products

All these go together

Or would it be better to build a pc ?

Is the motherboard too slow?

Or should I just use this for storage

Your current PC is pretty old. Just build a new PC mate, all of the PCIE slots in that motherboard are x8 and Gen 1, even if you manage to connect a GPU (which I doubt you can) and have it running it will not be able to run at the full bandwidth.

If you’re on a budget forget GPU and get yourself an APU like the AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G and build around it. It also comes with a decent CPU cooler heatsink so you won’t need to buy one.

To add to that, what is your use case? I will post two builds, one budget and one midrange. The budget system should be fine-ish for 1080p@60Hz while the midrange targets a 1440p@120Hz.

Budget 5700G build

Rationale: This will run circles around what you have right now. While the case and PSU is still a bit on the premium side, you could probably shave another $100 if you really try, I think you will save more money long term since it is possible to just replace the motherboard in 3 years with a new system. The 5700G allows you to put in a decent midrange GPU and then it will blaze in 1080p. If you get a GPU from the start as well, swap the 5700G and A520 with 5700X and B550 and pair with a 6700 XT.

This is the best deal you can currently get if you do not go console in bang for bucks, but APUs are limited.

Now lets build a nice system:

Upper Midrange 13600K build

Rationale: Again bang for the buck. Now, this has a 7900 XT suggested simply because the $600 mid range cards have a terrible value right now. Once the 7800 XT or 7700 XT comes out this might change, and it is probably possible to shrink the cost of this by $500 if you really want to but the experience will suffer and you will upgrade sooner rather than later in that case. This build can power your 1440p gaming until 2027 when the AM6 and 1700+2 sockets come out.

As with all my build suggestions, this is an anchor point for discussion not an end all be all build.

1 Like

Do you really take time to build this list from scratch at PCParPicker or do you have a preset list somewhere that you usually maintain and update? I always see your effort in posting recommemdations and I am impressed.

Ok, this will be off-topic, but:

Usually take the time to look through, although I usually tend to know roughly what CPUs and motherboards/chipsets go well together, too. A PCPP build takes around 5-15 minutes for me to slap together, usually I start with a CPU and motherboard form factor and go from there.

My presets are mostly mentally in my head, like, “Ok, so 5600G with A520 or 5700X with B550, X570 for specific needs people (VFIO etc)” and then I have usually three RAM types (3200 CL16, 3600 CL18, 6000 CL34), whatever is a reasonable budget for a fast boot SSD with TLC+DRAM+SLC cache. Then pick a pretty case with good airflow and slap on a decently priced CPU cooler, doesn’t need to be perfect just good enough. :slight_smile:

PSUs are actually tricky to find these days, in my mind you shouldn’t have to pay more than ~$80-$90 for a good 750W PSU but the market disagrees with me, also I will almost always gravitate towards modular PSUs these days. That makes it tricky to find decently priced PSUs.

GPUs are even more tricky but here it is all about what screen it is going to drive, so my internal recommendation chart is something like:

Res@Freq AMD Nvidia
1080p@60Hz RX 6600 RTX 3050
1080p@120Hz RX 6700 XT RTX 3060
1080p@144Hz+ RX 6800 XT RTX 3060 Ti
1440p@60Hz RX 6700 XT RTX 4070
1440p@120Hz RX 6800 XT RTX 4070
1440p@144Hz+ RX 7900 XT RTX 4070
2160p@60Hz RX 7900 XT RTX 4080
2160p@120Hz RX 7900 XTX RTX 4080
2160p@144Hz+ RTX 4090

Which makes it easy to get a rough ballpark of what to recommend, of course also need to keep that up to date from time to time. Above is my perception and may not reflect actual performance numbers.

I try not to play too many favorites, I do have some brand preferences I personally have had good experiences with though. And at the moment the pricing situation makes me skew heavily towards AMD on the GPU side, Nvidia IMO makes no sense to recommend anything other than the 4070 and 4090 at the moment. Intel has actually a stronger showing in the mid range, though the AM5 plop-in-a-2027-CPU promise is really tempting right now, too. Once Arrow lake sockets arrive though… Who knows?

Thanks for the kind words, they warm me soul :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.