Looking for a SIMP

Or more precisely, a Simple Image Manipulation Program. I do not need the power of GIMP or Photoshop, but rather something that will let me do some basic screenshot editing. Here’s my wishlist:

1. Automatic resizing of canvas when image is cropped, stretched or resized. (This is one of my big frustrations when dealing with most OSS image editors.)
  2. Ability to add simple text/titles in a variety of sizes, though a huge font selection is not essential.
  3. Ability to add simple lines, ellipses and circles.
  4. Ability to stitch or overlay two or three images together without devolving into a mess of different layers. And, again, with automatic canvas resizing.
  5. Built-in highlighter to emphasize certain text or areas.
  6. Support for exporting/converting to the most common image formats (PNG, JPG and GIF, maybe webp since it is becoming so popular.)
  7. Almost forgot: dead simple cropping and resizing.

Does such a unicorn exist, or am I asking for too much?

1 Like

I use Greenshot for half of those functions, but it won’t do it all

1 Like

I’ve used Greenshot on Windows before, but was mostly interested in running something on Linux…I probably should have specified that, though I did mention OSS.

Greenshot is good at capturing screenshots, and has an OK-ish editor, but I was hoping for something in between that and GIMP.

1 Like

There’s an Android app I like to use called photo editor pro - polish. Might check most of those boxes for you but won’t go as lot of good if you’re on x86.

AOSP_GALLERY2 i believe had those features.

Krita seems doable with your requirements.

I am a bit unsure about that requirement #1 though

https://www.getpaint.net/ ?

If you want foss paint . net I’d rec pinta
https://www.pinta-project.com/

Krita ain’t bad either

1 Like

Seems to me like it has almost everything you need(but very simple!):

1 Like

Thanks, JSPaint seems to (mostly) fit the bill. The specific thing I was trying to do was anonymize a neofetch screenshot by cropping out my username. (Not that it’s my real name, but the less info the better.)

In this case I wasn’t able to autoresize the canvas, but I did paste the screenshot, cut (Ctrl-X) the desired section of screenshot, and paste (Ctrl-V) into a ‘new’, blank canvas. Clumsy, but it worked.

Not a big fan of web apps, though. Is there any way to run it locally?

1 Like

Isn’t the solution to simply select only the part of the screen you want to record? I thought most modern OSs do that ootb (Windows, Fedora, …).
I use this function quite a lot, although I have to admit I don’t claim to have an overview of current OS functionality.

Yes, jspaint is open source, so you can run it locally.
They also have an electron app version that you can build.

1 Like

If there’s a way to do it in PopOS, I’d be grateful to know how. Presently I’m not aware of a way to grab an arbitrary rectangular section of screen. What I usually do in PopOS (and Windows too) is hit Alt-PrtScrn to grab the current window and then copy it to clipboard. I can then paste it into an editor, but it’s the entire window, not a section of window.