Looking for a platform for C++ (3D graphics capability)

Hya!

Basically looking to learn C++, and thus I'm after a quality software solution to program in C, Im used to the setup of the Python GUI 'IDLE', so something with similar concepts and functionality would be preferred, any suggestions welcome, and if you could point me in the direction of any comprehensive teachings of C that would be great.

Thanks!

EDIT - I'm on windows 10

C or C+?

What platform are you on?

1 Like

Ah ill edit that in, my bad

Windows 10

And its C++ I assume (you mention C a few times)

@ninja85a has been setting up Atom and MingW (GCC) for C++ development in Windows. They may be able to give you pointers on that.

Theres also visual studio (theres a free version i think).

theres also code::blocks which is more of an IDE over Atom, though atom has a lot of packages and a number of C++ packages to customize it.

As for resources, Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ is probably a good place to start.

Make sure you learn modern C++, not C with classes. C++11/14 are the current standard.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. These look great, and yeah I meant C++, said i'm learning XD. But really, TY

2 Likes

if you need a hand setting up atom msg me and ive got the book im working though in pdf format if youll like that as well :D dont be afraid to ask :D

3 Likes

I am actually looking at the thread about compiling from atom at the moment, and I've gotten stuck XP, if you could give me some advice on just setting it up to be a one stop solution for writing and then compiling that would be much appreciated.

what have you got setup atm?
and what do you mean by XP?

2 Likes

XD + :P, like a stupid face I should stop using, and atm I've installed atom and have the installer for msys2 on my desktop.

While @ninja85a can help with atom on windows (im on Linux using Atom + GCC/Clang) (and were on discord as well). Here's a few more resources I'm finding useful.

http://cppcast.com/

Let me know if you have any!

3 Likes

https://github.com/steelbrain/linter
https://github.com/hebaishi/linter-gcc
these 3 are packages i recommend getting for ATOM once you start it up you should see a settings panel on the right click install and on the top bit put the names of them in and install them then install msys2 and follow the steps at first to set it up.
http://www.msys2.org
after that do pacman -S gcc and press y when it asks and yet it install then go into your msys2 folder and find gcc.exe and copy the file path of that and put it into the config for linter-gcc and you should be good to go :D

2 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

Visual studio community edition on Windows is a good place to start. If you download Unreal Engine (it's free) then you'll find all of the source code editing can be done via visual studio. The reason you would use atom over visual studio is if you really like it's interface, not because it's more convenient (far from it).

2 Likes

well im using it because i dont want to get used to how when you code in visual studio it has things that only visual studio will use and since im planning on doing a open source program ill want to not get used to it like that :D

1 Like

Yea, you're right I should have expanded on that a bit more. If you want cross-platform development sometimes it's just better to do it from the ground up and avoid Microsoft tools all together.

3 Likes

i get why you recommend to use it first i did that but then i remembered that people like @Eden are using linux (fedora in eden's case) and they cant use visual studio and i wanted to make a open source password manager so best to not use it

3 Likes

When you say config what do you mean, as in the linter folders on my PC there are a number of files and folders with config in there names, or is it something to do with the linter settings page on Atom?

this is once your installed linter-gcc goto settings packages then click linter-gcc and enter it in the box with a black circle around it

3 Likes

TY all sorted, thanks for the help everyone!

3 Likes