Looking for a new Laptop

I currently have a seven-year-old Lenovo Thinkpad T530 and it still works just fine but I’m going to be going into more advanced programming classes next year and I would like something both more powerful and nicer. I’d really prefer to avoid “Gaming Laptops” but I would still like solid specs. It will primarily be for programming and light photo editing/digital painting so touchscreen is a plus. I’d prefer a thin form factor and decent battery life. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Preferably sub $1500

Budget?

1 Like

Sub $1500 sorry I realized I forgot that as you replied.

No problem. Do you need discrete graphics?

If not I would suggest the Dell XPS line:

1 Like

Probably nothing above like an mx150

It’s hard to go wrong with a XPS unless you really need the extra horse power that comes with bigger laptops.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at it. How is it with bloatware?

You have to be careful as to the MX150 that is in the laptop… remember NVidia are selling two different versions with significant performance differences. Last 4 are either the LGA1 (actually an MX150) or 1D12(The meh MX150).

1 Like

I have a Alienware and I don’t even notice it. The only time when it bothers me is when it wants to update a driver or the bios, which is exactly when I want it to notify me; other than that there’s nothing intrusive.

Ever since Dell went back to being private, their products are top notch quality, with a competitive price.

That’s it:

1 Like

That’s good to hear, I’ll take a serious look at it.

1 Like

Are both versions better than Intel HD620 or UHD620 that I see in a lot of comparable laptops?

That I’m not sure about, I just know back in March NVidia were slyly sliding in an MX150 that had lower performance while blaming the laptop maker for the confusion.

I would suspect it would smoke Intel’s onboard but finding benchmark sites would be good.

1 Like
1 Like