Looking for a new keyboard

So I have a corsair k70 rgb and I want some thing more ergonomic like my old Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Is there an ergonomic key board with mechanical key? If so what and how much.

Help a brother out I got monster fingers and this corsair is killin me.

Yeah lots of them. The Kenesis Advantage is one end of it.

There is the Community version in the Dactyl Board, a split imaging of the Kenesis style.

There is Kenesis’s gaming board in the Freestyle, a flat board but split.

There is the also somewhat normal but split Mistel Barocco.

There is the Ergodox, a flat split board but with shifted keys for ergonomic placement, the boards can also be “tented” or tilted not only back to front but side to side too to meet your wrist angle.

There is the likes of the Atreus, which is like a one piece compact Ergodox.

There is the Planck, an Ortholinear layout designed specifically to minimise finger travel and wrist motion by being in compact grid layouts. There are also larger version like the Preonic.

And its two handed spin off the Lets Split.

There are also many that the community have come up with, too many to mention really.

1 Like

Thanks I just ordered a Ergodox black with the cherry mx clear switches. it set me back 355.00 bot at least the shipping was free.

Wow that was quick. Had you all ready been looking at them?

Yes Its been bugging me for awhile.

Ah cool, I assume you have bought a pre assembled one? Good luck with it, do report back on how it is

Just wanted to throw this out there, but I’ve found that the key switch type has a lot to do with ergonomics, almost if not equally as much as the keyboard layout itself. Example: I had a Corsair K70 with red switches, and I would noticeably fatigue after typing for a while. Even after adding dampener rings to it, I just couldn’t believe the fatigue. Switched to a FILCO 10-keyless with blues, and I feel like I can type forever without a problem, though I am somewhat missing the 10-keys.

Also note that your sitting position and your overall ergonomics play perhaps an even more important factor in typing ergonomics. Sitting too low where your forearms (and especially wrists) are slightly elevated from your elbows will cause major problems. Are you rocking a cheap chair (yes, DX-Racer styles are cheap)? That lack of support and adjustability will also fatigue you a lot faster than a cheap keyboard.

Basically what I’ve learned over the years is that your wrists and forearms need to be kept straight, you need a GOOD ergonomic chair (Steelcase, Herman Miller, ect), learn about proper sitting positions and adjustments, and just use whatever keyboard that doesn’t fatigue your fingers (read: switch type, not layout design). Do those, and you will be infinitely more happy than whatever ergo keyboard design fad may pop up. Also, stay hydrated. These seem like simple enough things, but trust me, you may be surprised just how much of an impact they have.

1 Like