Looking for a cheap sysadmin tablet

Googleing was no help

• Prefer; 7-8", not wholesale, not from Alibaba, warranty, RJ45.
  • Strongly prefer; $100 or less, AndroidOS, HDMI, RS232, physical buttons (back/home/super).
  • Required; Dual USB (Type-C/Micro-B/Type-A)

Thank you!

A raspberry pi with full root access in Linux would be far more suitable. You can use / access ports below 1024, read or concatenate any file, setup a proper firewall, network caching, nmap, and don’t need to worry about root access or long-term security updates. With proper Linux, you get all that.

This would need a separate display, but for text-based tasks, I think eink (eletro-phoretic or bi-stable) ink display, because of its low power, would be a suitable choice. You don’t need 16.67ms screen updates, and moving a cursor updates quicker than a full screen refresh.

What might be a more all-in-one is the old samsung N210 which has the proper LVDS connection to hook up an eink screen in place of the built in display. It already has a battery and input, and you could use the regular lcd screen.

Nice reply, but after 6 months, OP may have moved on.

I am presuming they wanted a portable they can go to a server/switch, and pull out a tablet with OTG / RS232 / RJ45 and plug in while having a simple touch screen.

I am just guessing here.

I suspect OP really needed a 13" laptop or similar, for built in screen and KB&m, as am not sure tablets have the connectivity requested.

But either way, I am also a fan of Rpi’s, though only have a few. They are super cool, and great to plug just a power / USB power cable in, and have run automatic over wifi. Anything further than that, they are less useful. IMHO.
By the time you have a tiny keyboard, trackball/mouse, display, and cables, you really should just use a laptop.

yes i was also confused as to why OP did not just use any cheap spare laptop with an Ethernet port…

The only tablets worth paying money for are iPads, and I’m dubious they’d make for good sysadmin tools. Just get an M1 MBA and an Ethernet USB dongle. Plenty of battery to last a whole work day, and very slim and light to carry around.

1 Like

Are you interested in a 2 in 1? There are a number of these that are relativel inexepnsive.

Other than that mainly the only useable tablets are ipads.