Looking for a a atx, dual PSU solution

Hey all, just curious if anyone knows of any Dual ATX Power Supply systems similar to the twins pro stuff but maybe cheaper and easier to get ahold of. Have an atx based storage server(Truenas) that I would love to get a dual powersupply system for but the twins pro ones seem really expensive.

Silverstone has a line of redundant ATX power supplies. They’re not cheaper than FSPs, though.

< rant >
A gripe I have is that “redundant ATX PSUs” aren’t truly redundant, they are only redundant on the 12v rail, every other voltage level (except 5vsb) the power supply produces is created by a single-point-of-failure stage that is fed by the 12v.

This isn’t usually the case for OEM servers since they are designed to only intake a 12v rail and all other voltage conversion happens on the motherboard. for these OEM servers the redundant power supplies truly are redundant.
I feel like redundant ATX power supplies are just trying to co-opt some of the good reputation server redundant power supplies have while being nothing like them in terms of redundancy.

< /rant >

Fsp twins pro, there’s a dual 500, 700 and 900w model

Yeah I have looked at those as I did mention in my post, but was hoping for something that doesn’t cost basically 5x the cost of being two of the same wattage psu. I understand there’s more electronics involved in getting the two PSUs to run in parallel with no issues when one drops out. But I can get an EVGA 500w power supply in the city here for 65$ CAD so at most what, just under 200$ for two of them and they want over 500$ USD for a fsp twins pro dual unit? that’s about triple the cost, which seams like an absolute grift to me.

Having a hard time finding anywhere to actually buy the Silverstone ones and any pricing on them.

I get where you are coming from and for the price that’s not really acceptable imo, but for my use case that’s fine if I could get that style of “redundant” for cheap enough. I am more worried about being able to have the PSU on redundant AC power than anything.

Well, a used ATS (automatic transfer switch) PDU wouldn’t be very expensive, and can drive multiple systems.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. A barebones ATS-in-a-cable can be had for less than 100USD to add the redundant input power capability to a normal PSU.

Mhm, looking into this now. When you say ATS-in-a-cable, do you mean a single system power cable with an inline ATS in it? that would be ideal if it’s cheaper than a proper ATS PDU but seems harder to find.

well maybe it would be a tiny bit generous to call it a cable, but yes:

The downside is you’d have to add your own IEC C13 cable ends to it. Also this one is not a zero crossing design which can upset inverters if it is being powered by one (like if you had dual UPSs feeding the computer).

A more expensive, but better ATS solution would be something like Zonit’s uATS, which have the zero crossing AC switching ability but are 400USD new and 200USD used on ebay.