Looking for a 10GBase-T (10Gig) Switch

I am looking for a 10GB switch. I need at least 8 ports but at least 3 ports would need to be 10GB.

It would also need to be a managed switch so I can assign vlans.

I was looking at this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/174282164519?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174282164519&targetid=886281069981&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9060439&poi=&campaignid=9248481498&mkgroupid=99428719168&rlsatarget=aud-762207186714:pla-886281069981&abcId=1141156&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnv71BRCOARIsAIkxW9HWRzJqC8TND5qNW3AekOrcjEqqX2rZ6aj-MAw2T_TC7kKz9JKvA1MaAqZREALw_wcB

This is a little high and was wondering if there was something within my criteria but a little cheaper but still reliable.

This switch will be in a rack.

Thanks

1 Like

Under $350 (USD) for a 10GbE switch is a tough ask.

In the UK I can get a Netgear xs508M for around ÂŁ350 which would be similar price in USD once you remove taxes and FX. Note this is unmanaged.

An option would be a Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN. This is an sfp+ switch for around. $250 which you can add $30 transceivers to get ethernet.

Beyond that you will have to try used models

+

I use the CRS326 and its able to assign VLan IDs
You could obviously also just use a cheap Gigabit switch as the secondary

1 Like

Anyone try something like this?

this is “the deal” right now, if you don’t mind LOUD. I mean squirrels in a blender loud.

48 10 gig ports, 4 40 gig ports. Firmware is Linux, but hardish to get.

Sometimes 24 port versions of this comes up. Avoids the all-sfp switches which,imho, are basically EOL even for home labs since so much better stuff is available at this point.

If you can get by on only 2 10-gig ports, Asus has a smaller switch, you can sometimes find on sale for $199, that also has more 1 gig ports.

There is prettymuch nothing in-between that’s not garbage, sadly. Except for the sfp+ stuff. But that’s actually deceptively expensive because you usually need at least several sfp+ adapters or transceivers.

3 Likes

So what do you think about the NETGEAR XS708T 8-Port 0.4oz Ethernet Lan Switch Smart Managed Pro

I posted. Does that fall under your “Garbage” switches?

its almost $400 for 8 ports. you can have 48 ports and enterprise features for $300 more?

At about $300 it might be okayish.

I’ve seen the 24 port aristas for ~$300 on ebay, way better deal? but LOUD. The netgears can get loud, too, but mostly are less loud.

I’m in the middle of a project now to revamp my home networking with more reliable pro equipment – I wanted to go 10G and grabbed an Aruba Networks S2500-24T. It’s managed, rack-mounted, 24 gigabit ports + 4 10G SFP ports. You can also find them in 48 port varieties and the model that ends in P instead of T will give you POE too.

You can find them easily on eBay for less than $100.

I found this deal after discovering this YouTube video that explains how to set this switch up and set the 4x10G ports up correctly (instead of the default which has 2 ports used for stacking).

I picked up a Molex 74752-2501 DAC for $15 for connecting this to my storage server, as well as a pair of ipolex 10G-SFP-T-Ubiquiti 10GBASE-T transceivers so I can connect with my workstation via cat6. Both of these transceivers work great.

Noise is very low after bootup (I’m using it next to me in my home office without noticing it much) but there’s also a video on youtube for modding it with Noctua near-silent fans.

I found this switch at work in our depot that I can grab for free.

I just need to get the 10Gb base t module and a couple 10t Gbics. I guess I can live with 2 10GB ports. Just really preferred 3. However if it saves me $400 to $600 I think I can get over it.

2 Likes

That module is pretty pricey last I looked

I think I saw a refurbished one for about $250. We have a Website at work where it shows all of the equipment available and they dont have the darn modules there.

$250 for two ports is pretty bad pricing and two doesn’t leave you much upgrade room.(note I have the expansion card) really would go elsewhere if you want 10gbe imo
I mean for double you can get 12 ports

@wendell
Could you do a fan swap on the Arista to quiet it down? Or would it just be down to a dull roar?

Looks like you can but you may need to change the pinouts on the fans you purchase.

Any reason you would avoid the Aruba suggestion then?
~$100 for the switch and if you did four 10GBase-T transceivers at ~$40 a pop you’d get 24 gigabit and 4 10G ports for roughly $250 total, even cheaper if you don’t do 10GBase-T for all 4 ports.

I thought that the savings came in electricity costs, as SFP+ connections draw less power than 10G base T (2W vs 5w per port)

No reason. I posted my comment before I saw yours. Where did you get the 10base t transceivers? And did you do a speed test to see what you are getting on the 10GB interfaces?

I used these transceivers: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LIUK5/
I don’t know if you could find anything cheaper. This is my first switch with SFP+ and I am learning as I go.

As far as a speed test goes, this is what I’m getting as long as jumbo frames are enabled on both the iperf3 server (ubuntu machine) and client machine (ubuntu on wsl2/win10):

Been using this for a few months without any hiccups, just followed the basic setup video I mentioned in my above post and ran iperf3 with great success. In real usage my storage doesn’t remotely hit that kind of performance, but that’s not the switch’s fault.

1 Like

Ya I watched them. Even like the fan mod video as well.

There is a Mikrotik 8 sfp+ & 1gbe switch for ~250, but you need to provide the sfp+ adapters and is passively cooled so no noise. If noise is not a concern just go with used enteprise gear.