Looking at running 2MV with unraid, feeling confused

I have my x570 board, but waiting for the Ryzen 5900x and the Radeon 6800 card. I have watched some vids on L1Tech, and LTT, and I like the idea of having w10 and Linux running in parallel. I know that I can put a second video card in for the second OS, I am not sure what is the best way to do this.

Can unraid be installed to a disk so that the USB is not needed on every boot?

is there any differance with running two os’s in paralel, vs one hosting the other?

Is there any beginners guides out there for this? I want to take time before I get my chips to learn and understand what I am wanting to do, and adjust my expectations arrordingly.

Ah, so most folks who want Linux and Windows running with VFIO, do it without unraid. They’d run their Linux desktop (e.g. Ubuntu, or Fedora, etc…) as usual, and would setup VFIO on one of the GPUs to be able to pass it though to a VM running windows through virt-manager (fancy frontend for QEMU). Often, they’d go and use Looking Glass, which is a special driver/software combo that lets the VM capture the real gpu output and stream it outside the VM to a Linux host super quickly (without compression or network latency because it’s on the same physical machine).

You can certainly run another separate Linux instance in such a VM, more or less same as you would Windows.

At the end of the day, unraid is an “appliance distro”, a highly specialized Linux distro for storage that happens to be able to startup virtual machines - you don’t really have to use it.

Hi David! If the only reason you need Unraid for is using 2 VMs i’d take risks advice and use a linux distro and then run a W10 vm inside it with GPU passthrough.

Unraid gives you other features, it’s first and foremost used for having a NAS, it has docker built in with a simple GUI approach and a very active comunity maintaining docker images. All of this can be achieved with every linux distro but not as easily as with Unraid.