Long Range WiFi USB adapter

Ok so after I got permission to use my neighbors I notice I can only get it in my garage… I want it for my desktop which is not in my garage… I need a decent wifi network adapter that is reasonably fast usb 2.0 (so I can use it on multiple devices if needed) that can reach quite a distance any suggestions?

Anyone? I want to order one soon

Alfa makes some good cards, I have one myself. They have different models so look around for one that suits your needs and budget.

This one would probably be overkill:

How far does it reach do you think?

What kind of distance is quite a distance? You probably want something with a directional antenna.

Also.. maybe theres an obvious answer but why cant you use your own internet?

Well, it depends on what's between the antenna and the access point. Obviously several thick concrete walls would reduce the range.

With my own alfa at 1W of power and a 9 dbi dipole antenna i can easily pick up signals from 100m away. But of course if I where to connect to the access point the quality of the connection would likely be awful and a lot of sad little packets would be lost.

If you want to extend the range even further you probably want a directional antenna, as Eden said.
Google "yagi wifi antenna" for more info on that.

I am on the edge of town I can either pay my local company 2000 usd for a business fiber line or use century link like I am doing right now but the speeds are 7mbps and I only get 2mbps

I want to be able to reach quite a distance possibly a mile or 2 I have seen solutions for boats such as http://www.5milewifi.com/ that. Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxNYubD66lg but would there be any lag for gaming? I live in a very rural area I even offered Google Fiber my soul they said they didn't want it... :( their response....... Hi ########,

Thank you so much for contacting us about Google Fiber, but we'll let you keep your soul(for now, at least-mwah ha ha). We’re really excited as well that so many people want our service! If you want to stay updated on our progress, please sign up at fiber.google.com/other. We’ll send you updates and let you know when, or if, we are coming to #########, and may need to call upon you for your help in the future!
Thanks,

??????

Google Fiber Support | @GoogleFiberHelp | (866) 777-7550 | support.google.com/fiber

Ill have to look in to it

Okay that far, that's a different story. There are solutions for that also. You could set up at point to point network with parabolic antennas like in this video (if I remember correctly): http://youtu.be/APZ3s_JVcVk

It would probably cost you a bit more and also require you and your neighbor to have large antennas in your back yards.

The lag would probably not be game breaking, unless you play on a high competitive level. This is of course (as always with wifi) highly dependent on the quality of the connection. But that is just my guess, someone with hands on experience with long range wifi have to answer that.

He would not let me put anything like that on his house sadly :/

Do you know of a wireless adapter that can do those distances? I can spend about 150. Usd

Not normally a great option, but you can try setting up a WiFi extender/repeater in the garage. If you can get one that can connect to his router and then transmit the signal over Ethernet to your computer, that would be my best suggestion without changing out hardware on his end.

What repeater do you recommend? I need one to reach a mile plus I have quite a big property between houses

Honestly sounds like you'll need some expensive directional antennas for that kind of distance. Without your neighbours permission to put equipment on his network you may likely not get the best performance from the WiFi network.

You need a repeater that reaches a mile? Is this from your garage to your house? If that's the case you'll need directional antennas again for that or lay your own cable.

Between my house and any neighbor

Can you make a diagram so we can see what you are working with? You said you could reach his WiFi in your garage and now I'm hearing that you have a mile in between buildings.

Until I can get more information, a set up like this is my best recommendation.

I assume your garage is close to your house and that you get a decent signal in the garage.

In this case a repeater would probably do. But I get the feeling that the signal in the garage is quite weak.

As long as you get a strong signal in the garage to the repeater you should be fine. But I'm a bit sceptical that you would be able to pick up a steady signal from that far away.

If the signal in the garage is too weak you unfortunately have to rig some bigger antennas as mentioned earlier.

Yeah I do apologize for any confusion. So he already has a large wifi hub with repeaters I want to get straight off his home router not a repeater of a repeater of that makes sense...

The suggestion was for you to use a repeater to transmit the signal from your garage to your house. You'll have no choice in what WiFi signal you pick up from him.
The concern is that regardless of the equipment you use you may still get a bad recv signal from him because his equipment isn't directional.