Locked Rack Door (APC 42U) Missing keys

Question: Does anyone know how I can replace or remove the lock on an APC 42U server rack. The back door is locked closed and the keys are missing. I would prefer non-destructive solutions but every suggestion helps, thanks. :slight_smile:

Buy new keys on eBay or direct from APC? Call a local locksmith? Maybe reach through from the other side and unscrew the back of the lock?

From defcon talks I saw online, it should be an EK333 key, which is like $4 on ebay.

Alternatively, get a key file and a thin piece of metal.

3 Likes

Got a drill? Drill out the lock …unless you don’t want damage get a locksmith or buy a replacement key they cheap

The locks are also cheap af I had to remove the lock from my second hand rack

On the off chance the EK333 key fits but does not turn, I would bet you could bump it.

And I would also bet a donut that the lock could be raked open.

1 Like

Check YouTube for defeating Wafer locks/whatever type.
If it is the same type as filing cabinets, should be okay.
Also, the hinges might be easy to remove? Maybe? With someone holding the door

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I’ll be purchasing an EK333 and if that doesn’t work I’ll try to pick it or drill it out.

Much appreciated, you guys are the best :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Why not try and pick while you wait?

2 Likes

I bet you could probably pick it with a couple paper clips, bobby pins or any small strong metal. Just gotta bend it in the right shape.

have one to tension the lock and the other to rake the pins.

Tensioner always seems hardest to me as a non-picker.
Something thin/small enough to not get in the way, but strong enough to counter any built in spring.
I ended up getting a £5 kit off Banggood, that are cheap, stamped, and really rough, but tinker worthy

Yea. You kinda end up bending the tensioner if you are using something like a paper clip as you use it. Its kinda fun just to try to get in. The hardest part is where to position it so that you have good access to the pins. I found that if you are using a paper clip if you bend maybe the last 1/4 inch back over itself it does nicely.

I had ordered a small set of Southord lock picks sometime ago. They do make things a lot easier.

1 Like

Just rake the lock open, can’t imagine its anything more than a shitty wafer lock.

I don’t have it yet

I’ve already got one, I assumed that the default locks that they came with would be something very difficult seeing as the kind of value they have to lock away.

I suspect you are drastically over-estimating the strength of the lock. They are designed more as a temper evident device, rather than actual security. Security is handled at the building level (if at all)

1 Like

Yea. You would think so but they are about the equivalent of one of those cheap cash boxes you see at a bake sales.

I am guessing you are picking this racks up second hand? Gonna be a heck of a home lab if that’s it’s purpose haha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.