Lock-up after updating microcode on Ubuntu 20.04.02 LTS

Background: I have a dual Xeon e5-2697 v3 system running Ubuntu 20.04.02 LTS using an Asus Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard. The system has been running reliably for the past year almost continuously.

Yesterday I applied that past week’s updates, which included an Intel microcode update (v3.20210608) and rebooted. It then ran fine all day. Around 01:17 in the morning syslog shows a number of Gnome related crashes which finally brought down the X server, and then at 01:18 the system locked-up completely. When I found it this morning both CPU error lights on the motherboard were lit up.

Eventually I rebooted the machine and it appears to be running fine again. Has anyone else had any stability problems with this microcode release?

Just to update, the LEDs that were on were CATTERR_LED1 and ERR_DIMMH2. So a catastrophic failure rather than a CPU failure. The dimm slot with the error light on is not populated.

So this is looking more like a coincidence and a possibly failing motherboard. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah that could be. ASUS quality is not what it used to be. My 990FX lost ability to enumerate the Realtek NIC about two years ago. lspci no longer sees it. Luckily I had an add-in card laying around. This was on an ASUS TUF board too (Sabertooth 990FX v2).