Local Positioning System

Military, but they gave it to a student because they are out of money.

4 Likes

No shit, I just wanna know if itā€™s Northrop, BAE, Lockheed or GA.

but they have this tech already.

2 Likes

Something way out of what i can do right now. I am just challenging myself to the highest possible degree. Plus, itā€™ll be fun for sure.

Basically i want to be able to somewhat, like, uh, launch and land small rockets.

Even though burn time is way less than 5 minutes. My inner (word i canā€™t use) doesnā€™t like drift. Well, 1% is rather low and since this is a rather small rocket it wonā€™t be in air for too long. Iā€™ll consider it, thanks. Iā€™d thought about just double integrating acceleration from the beginning but I never accepted it.

2 Likes

I think you can have 2 ( 3 would be preferable ) sensors 1 at the top of the rocket and one at the most possible bottom. This way you can correct deviation in the course.

1 Like

That accounts for nearly all drift.

What can increase drift in a system like a rocket. Does sudden jerks contribute to it for example. Besides having multiple sensors, what ways are there to reduce drift.

Sudden jerks arenā€™t usually a huge issue. EM interference are more of your concern.

Reduce em interference.

Didnā€™t know that, thanks.

Theyā€™re very sensitive to magnetic fields. Putting shielding helps a lot. Not that itā€™s entirely feasible.

Edit: Faraday wouldnā€™t work well.

One meter of error every 15 seconds is a lot, isnā€™t it?

I am not sure about that. My study in fluid dynamics is limited, but I remember that laminar flow is is needed for airplanes and if I recall correctly turbulence causes some drift. I might be wrong.

Thatā€™s significantly more than Iā€™ve experienced in my 3ish years of using them.

My experience isnā€™t in aeronautics, so i will defer to you all.

Uh, did you use the same board?

Yeah. If I were in the lab, Iā€™d share a pic.

what is 1% expressed in meters per time unit. In your case meters/5min.

So the 5 minutes, we had about 150m of total change in position. We experienced 1.5m of drift, on average.

We saw approx. 2.2m at max.

Btw do you take in consideration the amount of range of your rocket in 15 secs ? 15 seconds is a lot of time btw.

So what, thatā€™s 1.5m / 5min => 0.005meters / sec. Compared to 1meter/15sec => 0.066meters / sec.

0.005meters / sec
vs
0.066meters / sec

hmmm

Well again, this rocket is only going to launch and be airborne for a short period of time before attempting to land again. Maybe maximum a minute or something. Also, to answer your question, not at high velocity and a maximum distance traveled of like max 1km or 500m. Probably a lot less, more like max 100m.

Are you expecting to land it like spacex rocket ?

1 Like