Local Positioning System

Hello, I am just wondering what local positioning systems are available for detecting position within a radius of maybe 500m - 1km and with 1cm - 10cm accuracy?

Pls not very expensive

hah nice try.

I worked at a company that makes this kind of product.

If you want 30cm accuracy (and even that’s pushing it), you’re going to have a range of 150m per node at the absolute max.

As far as price goes, think 500k to install it in your house, then a subscription to the software.

Nothing like this exists at a reasonable price for consumers.

2 Likes

Bluetooth LE can precisely target devices.

The Apple Store uses Bluetooth LE to target messages to you if you have a Bluetooth LE enabled iPhone.

Bluetooth LE is just the communication stack. Bluetooth beacons use it, but its not BLE its self.

So basically, I’m SOL?

Can i not develop some kind of system myself. I saw some guys make this https://www.instructables.com/id/Distance-measurement-with-radio-waves/
but it has an accuracy of like ±5m but a huge measurement range of like 1.5km or somthing.

Isn’t there a way to turn down range for higher precision and then use like 3 of these for triangulation thus a LPS?

You can use the same tech used by hams for a foxhunt
Radio direction finder from to local radio sources

Well there is quite a difference between distance measurement and positioning system.

What you have linked is a directional distance measuring device. It may have some usage as a positioning device but it will depend on the use case.

Would you like to share an example ?

My old company: https://inpixon.com

At the moment, yes.

I’d you’re asking the question, probably not.

The system can and has been developed.

The problem is the cost associated with the computations and manufacturing the specialized antennae that are needed.

What’s your use case? I could help you find something that fits your solution, but idk if the price will be palletable.

Suppose the object you are trying to get the position of is a (single) rocket.

Not a fast moving rocket though.

I have thought about using stereoscopic vision or even just measuring scaling on objects and from that getting the distance. But that would require cameras and a opencv program. I don’t think that it would be optimal for a rocket. Don’t know though. Don’t know if it’s accurate enough too.

Oh, I’m fairly certain there isn’t anything off-the-shelf that can help that.

You could use a navx on the rocket, plugged into a raspi, and assist it with GPS, maybe

I thought he wants a defense against said rocket so just to cover this ground too is the link above.

No, I need to control the rocket. For that i need a way to get the current position of it.

Oh. Anti-missile systems? This is out of my area of expertise.

1 Like

Oh. Yeah, look into navx.

Edit: link: https://www.andymark.com/products/navx-mxp-robotics-navigation-sensor

1 Like

Well, navx does not provide positional data. All those sensors output non relative data which i am not interested in right now.

Yes, but you can derive position from it quite simply. I taught a 14 year old how to do it in January.

There is a 1% drift per 5 minutes though.

Are you talking about getting it from double integrating acceleration.

1 Like

Basically.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, no.

Drift is not accepted. If i am going to accept drift I atleast need a way to check with an absolute value so i can reset the area under the curve.

1 Like

1% over 5 minutes isn’t acceptable?

What sort of project is this?

1 Like