Linux USB Camera Woes (cont..)

I have been having a issue with this AMD AM4 3600 (GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi) system under Linux where randomly between 5-10m usb camera devices will disconnect, then reconnect at a different udev location.

This is causing havoc on my system as I need these camera input devices to NEVER disconnect.

Things tried:
Immediately I disabled usbcore autosuspend (-1) however that has not solved the problem.
I have tried to look into dmesg/journalctl logs but it just shows the devices disconnecting.
I have tried a number of different ports, no luck.

I am currently using Arch ArcoLinuxB install and everything has been more or less going fine up until this point.

Really no idea what to try next, this is seriously perplexing and 100% of the guides online about this issue refer to Autosuspend being the issue, but I disabled that!

Might need to give up on the OBS Server dream if I canā€™t figure this out. A crying shame!

EDIT: I went ahead and added the below config in anyway. Perhaps the global autosuspend was being ignored by individual devices. Probably need to do this to audio inputs too if it works.

> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_power_save.rules
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{product}=="Live Gamer Ultra 2.1", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{product}=="NexiGo N660P FHD Webcam", ATTR{power/control}="on"

Update:

Just as I typed that out, the dev/video2 webcam froze and disconnected and connected in a new spot completely confusing OBS and creating a big issue for me.

Removed USER from the video group, that MAY have solved the problem. Time will tell.

AMD had issues with USB firmwares somewhat in the past. Iā€™d consider updating your BIOS as well. I had the same issue with my setup as well and I thought it was just Linux being Linux, turns out it was something else.

BIOS is latest. Issue still happens. USB port capture devices audio and video get released randomly and reassigned to random device location.

YET to find a concrete fix except I do know Windows NEVER does this. Quite furious.

I guess the last fix attempt Iā€™ll try and make is see if I can manually mount these devices to a spot and have it as static.

That is the main issue, when the /dev/video0 whatever webcam or whatever is disconnected and reconnected 0.5s later, it comes back as /dev/video1 or some OTHER random number.

OBS just constantly confused under Linux as it see only the mount point not the device.

Trying to follow static locations for devices but OBS just donā€™t care and only sees the /dev/video* locations (which change).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Udev#Setting_static_device_names

1 Like

Reference, device disconnects then reconnects in different location. OBS does not care for UDEV symlink rules and will ONLY see the original video* linked device.

First Disconnect
[18949.094307] usb 3-4: USB disconnect, device number 3
[18949.347960] usb 3-4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[18949.559745] usb 3-4: New USB device found, idVendor=660a, idProduct=3443, bcdDevice= 0.05
[18949.559753] usb 3-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
[18949.559755] usb 3-4: Product: NexiGo N660P FHD Webcam
Second Disconnect
[19186.588782] usb 3-4: USB disconnect, device number 4
[19187.019436] usb 3-4: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[19187.231988] usb 3-4: New USB device found, idVendor=660a, idProduct=3443, bcdDevice= 0.05
[19187.231994] usb 3-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
[19187.231996] usb 3-4: Product: NexiGo N660P FHD Webcam

Seems to happen every 4mins or so.

UPDATE: May have fixed it, wonā€™t know until EXTENSIVE testing. Looks like it could still be related to power management. Might have been changing the power/control mode at the wrong endpoint. Will see if it crashes video inputs again.

SADLY The issue came back next day. Video input devices resetting after 4-5minutes.

1 Like

Itā€™s starting to look like the NexiGo webcam I was using here just didnā€™t like Linux.

I plugged in another Generic Mosonth brand camera and it appears to not be exhibiting the same disconnect issue, which suggests it was likely the CAMERA crashing and not Linux doing anything nasty.

I was planning to get a Elgato FaceCam down the line, and I sure hope it doesnā€™t have Linux issues like this.

My testing will continue to ensure this isnā€™t just yet another fake ā€˜its fixed nowā€™ moment.

If anyone else has had annoying USB/Webcam issues under Linux like this then feel free to share.

1 Like

The CAMERA that was giving me all these disconnect problems has died. Not even detectable under Windows except for USB connect ding.

So I guess it was camera all along, Amazon is at least giving me a refundā€¦

1 Like

I never got the exact model you were using. Maybe get a Logitech one next time? I find Logitech cameras are somewhat Linux friendly enough.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be getting a Elgato Facecam once the refund comes through.

The only issue I have with the Elgato is its quite big, but it has overwhelming positive reviews so at least there is that.

The Facecam doesnā€™t FAKE 1080p like most other webcams out there also which is nice. A lot of people donā€™t realize the internal CMOS (I think its called) is often lower resolution and they use internal processing to upscale it!

2 Likes
off-topic rant

ā€œMy phone takes pictures just like any cameraā€ ā†’ Until that moment when you look at it closely and have a Xerox Moment, and part of the foliage looks like an impressionist oil-painting. Good luck editing something that may as well be AI-guesstimated!
That said, plugging a (low end) cinema camera through two adapters into your computer to have a 64x64 face in the corner of a stream isnā€™t worth it either.

I got a Elgato Facecam since they are 5 star review from everyone. However image under Linux is just black, and I notice apps canā€™t release the webcam sometimes.

Seems Iā€™m missing something but so far digging through the internet has yielded no information about this issue. (UNDER LINUX)

The amount of issues Iā€™ve had for Linux as a streaming box has been exceptionally unreasonable, getting to the point I might just need to toss windows on this machine and forget about Linux.

I canā€™t spend much more time on these issues.

SO I spent time testing this camera out on other machines and the Elgato app couldnā€™t handshake with the camera. (it did detect it a few times, but never got past that)

So I couldnā€™t even get the damn camera working on other computers. Tested on Linux also, tested on multiple USB ports, no luck.

Basically it was being detected but wouldnā€™t produce a image output, and also when a app grabbed the camera, closed the app, it would never release the camera, it be stuck on (blue led) meaning nothing else can take control.

Again, no image capture at all.

So that is my experience with Elgato Facecam, and itā€™s worth noting there are quite a few second-hand sales options on Amazon which I should have took as a hint that this camera has issues!

Will return it tomorrow and try the ASUS ROG camera.

Seems I have exceptional bad luck when it comes to webcams. THANK goodness that my high end AverMedia USB Capture card is working good.

Dumb idea: Do you have any camera that has an HDMI out? Battery-replacement in there and off you go.

I do have a Camera that has mini-HDMI out yes and battery. However Iā€™m pretty sure HDMI can provide power. (My capture card is single in/out and for PC display only btw)

The issue with this ThiEYE action camera I have is the FOV is not really suited for desktop use. It does have wifi also but ThiEYE doesnā€™t have great documentation on usage.

The thing also I believe has a broken MIC port :frowning:

Iā€™ll probably set it up as a secondary or third camera in the garage where I do 3d printing sometimes.

1 Like