Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS audio issues

i been having a bit of an issue with my Mic on Linux, its all crackly and its somewhat annoying for those having to listen to it on the other end. also i cant do video recordings with voice over as it sounds aweful.

im using the onboard sound card on my ASRock Fatal1ty b350 which is a typical el trasho Realtek card (spits on realtek). So im wondering if there is a fix for this OR am i better off getting the sound card i want which is a Creative Sound blaster ( Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Hi-Res PCIe Gaming Sound Card) yes a bit pricey. but im over bad\realtek audio quality.

and does creative have better support then real(bad)tek ??

What sample rate do you have set at the mic? It may be set to high for your audio chip. ASLA mixer should have that setting there for GNOME users.

Also an USB mic like a Samson Go works out of the Box with Linux.

1 Like

idk ill check it out next time i boot it up, currently in wind ow s

Just get a real sound card bro, save yourself the hassle.

yeah im thinking ill be spending the $200 on a creative cards going to be the way to go.
the realtek stuff just doesn’t cut it for me, fidelity just isn’t there.

TBH if you have a normal pci slot old soundblaster live!'s are cheap to find and sound A+.

Its not about support. Most are fine so lets get to the actual diagnosis.

Is everything at its defaults?

What kind of mic are you running? Primarily is it USB or Jack?

well it does it whether im using my headset mic OR im using my other mic with a phantom power pack. everything is on default as far as i know. it seems to only be on the mic line thou, the rest of the audio seems fine most the time. it sometimes can stop working on youtube. but the mic is always bad

1 Like

You are literally not helping. Embedded sound is just fine. Only really high end cards are good for production for listening at 24 bit 96 khz as your max the THD is gonna be better on motherboard due to noise being less in the isolated section of the motherboard itself. This has literally been proven. If he wants a high end card for production cool im all for it… do what you do but if its general listening its NOT necessary

Alright lets identify the sound card first.

Use pacmd and then list your sinks put it here

also verify its recognized correctly with sudo aplay -l

Then of course run lspci -v | grep -A7 -i “audio” to see if the right kernel module is loaded for the chip :slight_smile:

Once you do Ill look through it see if everything is recognized correctly and then move onto your mic…

It is most likely a Realtek HD Audio chip.

PulseAudio only works well on Realtek HD audio chips with the tsched=0 fix.

1 Like

Can you expand on this for OP?

These have historically terrible support, go with an Asus Xonar instead.

oh really !! faaark… that really sucks, i know creative has (from my experience) had the best sound of any card.

I had a Sound BlasterZ and the only way anyone could get it to work was using the front panel connector in 32bit linux. AFAIK all of these cards use the same Recon3D driver ported from chromeOS and they either don’t work or barely work. That said, there has been some movement on LKML since kernel 5.0 for getting the driver fixed so it may work better now or in the future.

Hopping on this thread to watch. I have the realtek adapters, same issues - I was able to improve them with the above fixes - playback is about perfect; input still fuzzy/static. Good enough now (just barely) to use for discord/etc - but abysmal for recording. Tried the fixes on 4xx and 5xx, ubuntu, fedora; etc. I gave up for now and put win 10 on a separate drive - perfect/clean audio there :confused: