Linux Tools for PC Repair - Refurbishing Old Computers

So I’m going to be doing a multi topic thread here; in relation to the new hobby of intaking computers that people no longer want, refurbishing them then giving said computers to those that aren’t as fortunate or that have had some rough times.

As part of the intake process, I’ll go through the computer itself for a functionality check to discover any potential problems. If everything is in working order I’ll go ahead and do a complete wipe of the HDD/SSD; unless the individual that given me a computer needs some data recovered off it. With that being said, I would like to put together a dedicated rig specifically for that task; I do have a server board that I was using for my PFSense box with an Intel Atom D330 in my parts bin with a dedicated USB port on it. Listed below are my possible requirements; since I’m going low budget and limited on space

• Ability to wipe multiple disks at once
  • Recommended file recovery software
  • Can be bootable through USB or PxE
  • Open source preferred as I’m going full tilt using Linux

Next topic is the next phase after function check and disk wipe is complete. This is where I’m contemplating on using setting up a PxE server to install operating systems. The primary Linux Distribution I use is Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE, since I can’t afford to always buy Windows serial keys; Also gives me the opportunity to expose people to the realm of Linux. Side note, I always spend a few minutes with an individual/family showing them the basics of Linux Mint so they can familiarize easier.

So far the maximum number of computers I can fit on the bench are 4 laptops or two desktops; provided I don’t have anything tore open. I already have a 5 port gigabit switch mounted off the side of my primary workbench. I do have a TrueNAS Scale Server in my network I can use to host a PxE Server; I am also open to use of a VM to host a PxE server. So any recommendations are welcome!

Last thing…Any recommendations on universal laptop chargers? I want to get a couple for my computer bench for laptops I get in that don’t have chargers. Something that won’t break the back and will handle a wide variety of wattage capacity.

Most OEM PCs have the Windows License info built-in to the EFI. Just download the Win10 ISO from Microsoft.com and go through the process of installing, and it’ll never prompt you for a key.

A USB-C PD (100W) charger and a bunch of adapters?

I like these but would note not all laptops take a 20v input. it’s also possible to get usb adapters that output different voltages.

software:

ability to wipe multiple disks at once - pv / dd in different terminal windows, and really careful typing of course
file recovery, depends on the circumstances - testdisk / gddrescue - or there wasn’t really a problem and just mount the partition and copy
bootable - use ventoy usb to select a bootable linux of your choice that has or can apt install the above. maybe keep a 32 bit iso on just in case, and the same usb can also hold your mint, or windows iso for final install, no need to pxe or figure out how to do it from random garbage bioses from say, dell. and they get so much worse.

if you’re wiping external disks from another device, knowing which ports are usb 3 is definitely something you’ll notice.

maybe not what youre looking for but be aware ubcd exists

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

i dont do a ton of fixing but its never failed me

1 Like