Linux Software List

A small comment..Isn't Bloom more of a Photoshop alternative than an Illustrator alternative...

I would also add:

Also Abobe lightroom -> Darktable

If using LibreOffice I'd make sure to have access to Microsoft Office if you're using macros. Compatibility is iffy and can cause rather exciting results if something breaks.

I want to point out that Blender is a suite in and of itself.

You can use it strictly as a Non-Linear Video Editor (what Premiere is) if you wanted.

Any suggestions for music player/manager? Audacious and rythmbox don't have the features like winamp.

Something to organize my library stored on a server. At minimum something to manage playlists, write to portable devices like USB and manage id3 tags.

1 Like

I think you can use Winamp on Linux with wine. It has a gold rating on winehq https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5

Winamp hasn't been updated in 3 years

Some people still enjoy the latest version

Give clementine player a try.

1 Like

try Banshee or Exaile

You could also argue to use it as DigiKam or Shotwell replacement in many ways.

Yeah indeed..

I don't remember, but I think Foobar2000 can do that, and it's supported by WINE.

I've tried just about every Linux music player out there in the last couple years, since I stream from my media server to remote boxes I've come to like Sayonara the best....it might be worth a look.

Love LibreOffice; simple, clean, free. the UI isn't as "nice/polished" looking as MS Office but it has all the functionality that I need to run the business.

Lollypop is a cool music player. Looks great too.

hate to break it to you but we already have a massive list for this.

edit: @Eden @Zavar @MisteryAngel , could we do a merge?

ty for the merge mods <3

1 Like

I could tell you my programming setup between a laptop(linux) and a desktop(linux). Nothing fancy but just the applications of the tools most CS majors should know.

1 Like

One for networking utilities is speedtest-cli
Does what it says on the tin. I use it all the time.

1 Like

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but don't forget the Pithos client for Pandora. It takes advantage of a couple holes in the Pandora API. Such as infinite skips.

This is a small one but still worthwhile.

1 Like

To anyone looking for some minimal and useful programs.
Video: MPV, the fastest and probably one of the best video viewers on Linux.
Backups: Duplicity! All day everyday!