Return to Level1Techs.com

Linux Software List

linux

Maybe it would be interesting to group these by workflow and underlying framework.

Like a protog will use either rapid photo downloader with darktable and gimp, or digikam and gimp or krita for instance. There is also a very big UI difference between all of these softwares.

They all have some things in common though: they offer a lot more functionality and speed than Adobe products, and they are not so unsafe and unreliable.

People looking for a 1:1 alternative, aka a "port", will always want to stay with what they are using though, it is always necessary to adapt and learn new things and adapt the workflow when switching to open source, but this needs to be done only once, because:
- with an adapted workflow, users can be far more productive and efficient with open source programs, because these are made specifically for and by the users, they are not made by a corporation who tells users what they can and can't use and how they should and shouldn't use it;
- commercial closed source applications force users down a (paid) upgrade path, and change the UI and workflow without asking the users from version to version, and users have to adapt or perish. This is never the case in open source, there is no discontinuity in workflow, so you only have to make the investment in adapting the workflow once, and then never again.
- This is also the reason why nobody should use closed source applications in Linux as a fixed part of their workflow, it's better to support open source applications, the more users, the more feedback they get, and the better they get in terms of workflow and features. So programs like Lightworks, although great because Hollywood and all, should maybe be relegated to their specific use case scenario, whereas most people could probably work just fine with Blender and KDEnlive for video editing purposes.

Another example of the quick transition to open source in the creative sector is plugins: A couple of years ago, I bought quite a few licenses for plugins from Waves, iZotope, IK, etc, for well over 10k. These things take a while to pay themselves back, because the added value is minimal in a pro environment with a lot of decent outboard gear, they are more like consumer things that have gone the "pro route" because too expensive than the other way around. So these things do not pay themselves back in 5 years, they need more than that. As with many commercial software products, they are a complete rip off and just plain stupid, but what do you do, clients use them because they're stupid (basically newbies use them because they can't get or don't know how to get the good outboard gear that does everything better). Thing is though, when I bought them, I was using Cubase and it was before the 64-bit mess, so they were 32-bit plugins. Then Cubase decided to go 64-bit but it was a complete mess, and Ardour wasn't good enough yet to use in production at that time. So the hunt for 32-bit bridging began, and it was a nightmare. Third parties would sell bridging applications, Steinberg would keep fucking up and breaking stuff... and in the end, people who didn't just dump the whole thing when Ardour became good enough and moved the whole thing to Linux, including all of the plugins that just work in Linux with any VST host, had to pretty much buy all of those plugins again in 64-bit versions. The problem with that was that by that time, many people had lost interest in them, and sales didn't do so well, people would just rather pirate them or would switch DAW or whatever, which lead to the income of the commercial production software industry to go down spectacularly. The very big Steinberg (this was like the Microsoft of the multimedia production world) almost went belly up because of this, and Yamaha had to buy them out. The industry learned that closed source is not an option. In top range pro products, linux quickly became the new standard because it was a main concern of high budget clients that long term support could be guarateed, and since half of any product these days is software, a switch to open source was the only available option. Since a few years, we've seen the industry also switch to linux for more consumer orientated products, the likes of the Kempers, Torpedos, etc... but recently a remarkable newcomer is the new AKAI MPC range, of which prototypes were leaked a couple of years ago running Windows, but now the products have finally come out, they're not running Windows at all, they're running linux. The AKAI MPC is a 100% consumer targeted device, it's like the Nintendo of the home music production world, it's the default production machine for aspiring dance and hiphop artists, entirely in the hipster market, so those are the guys who buy iPhones because iPhone right... so AKAI probably delayed the product release by over a year and invested millions extra, just to throw the already developed Windows based product in the dumpster and remake it entirely based on linux... guess AKAI has also learned. So it's just a matter of time before everybody will HAVE to be on open source software in the creative industry. The creative industry is slow to evolve, but once it gets rolling, it's like a tsunami, it happens fast and on a massive scale. That's why everyone should really switch to open source in the creative industry, because it's happening really fast and you don't want to get caught by surprise.

A small comment..Isn't Bloom more of a Photoshop alternative than an Illustrator alternative...

I would also add:

Also Abobe lightroom -> Darktable

If using LibreOffice I'd make sure to have access to Microsoft Office if you're using macros. Compatibility is iffy and can cause rather exciting results if something breaks.

I want to point out that Blender is a suite in and of itself.

You can use it strictly as a Non-Linear Video Editor (what Premiere is) if you wanted.

Any suggestions for music player/manager? Audacious and rythmbox don't have the features like winamp.

Something to organize my library stored on a server. At minimum something to manage playlists, write to portable devices like USB and manage id3 tags.

I think you can use Winamp on Linux with wine. It has a gold rating on winehq https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5

Winamp hasn't been updated in 3 years

Some people still enjoy the latest version

Give clementine player a try.

try Banshee or Exaile

You could also argue to use it as DigiKam or Shotwell replacement in many ways.

Yeah indeed..

I don't remember, but I think Foobar2000 can do that, and it's supported by WINE.

I've tried just about every Linux music player out there in the last couple years, since I stream from my media server to remote boxes I've come to like Sayonara the best....it might be worth a look.

Love LibreOffice; simple, clean, free. the UI isn't as "nice/polished" looking as MS Office but it has all the functionality that I need to run the business.

Lollypop is a cool music player. Looks great too.

hate to break it to you but we already have a massive list for this.

edit: @Eden @Zavar @MisteryAngel , could we do a merge?

ty for the merge mods <3

I could tell you my programming setup between a laptop(linux) and a desktop(linux). Nothing fancy but just the applications of the tools most CS majors should know.

One for networking utilities is speedtest-cli
Does what it says on the tin. I use it all the time.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but don't forget the Pithos client for Pandora. It takes advantage of a couple holes in the Pandora API. Such as infinite skips.

This is a small one but still worthwhile.