Linux + sim card broadband

Hi,
I am trying to get sim card working on a linux laptop.
Does anyone have a resource to look into to get it working?
It works on windows without any issues on another machine.

PS: Also I am new to forums so not sure about tags to choose.

Hello and welcome!
First thing we would need is the hardware (mobile stick/card) that you intend to use.
Because depending on the hardware the method may vary.

1 Like

Welcome!

Typically, we reserve the tag “tutorial” for the OP providing guidance on how to do something. the “helpdesk” tag would be more appropriate for this thread, so I’ll go ahead and switch those around for you.

In regards to your concerns, the following might be a good jumping off point.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ThinkPad_mobile_Internet

As Hako mentioned, we need to know what hardware and mobile carrier you’re planning on using so that we can find more detailed information for your use case.

1 Like

Thinkpad x1 gen8 + sim tray on the laptop. no dongle / adaptors involved.
Sim from a provider not in US. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. I had been looking at archlinux but in wrong section. I will give a try and update.

1 Like

I wonder why no consumer Laptop+Phone device exists.

I have theory that the spying agencies would have hard time for tracking people if they would start using laptops for their calls so they lobby hard for these kind of devices not existing.

I’ve seen many sim enabled laptops but that was for LTE connectivity to get network. No cell calling.

EDIT: sorry for OT

This is off topic, but the Fed can triangulate from LTE towers the same as cellphone signals.
The SIM card identifies your traffic to the carrier’s network as your traffic. And where you are…

1 Like