Return to Level1Techs.com

Linux, Ruby, and Windows Appreciation Thread

linux
windows
glorious

Changed title. u mad?

1 Like

I’m writing into a diary written in python about how upset I am today.
Lol maybe enough derailing.

1 Like

You rang?

3 Likes

I see your VSCode and raise.

https://vscodium.com/

It’s VSCode built with slightly less nagging. Tiny, but noticable startup speed difference, too.

2 Likes

That’s weird that their main beef is telemetry and the in-house license. You can turn the telemetry off. You get a message about this when you first launch the editor. It’s pretty easy to do. Inb4 “hOw Do YoU kNoW iT”"“s TuRn’D oFf!!!eleven!!!”

However, that being said, I’m a huge fan of faster startup times lol. I will check it out.

0 Likes

I appreciate w10 for 95/100 times just working, and doing what I ask it to.
It doesn’t disturb me whith updates, and my blu ray ripping software works better than they did on w7.
And I appreciate linux for being stable on the lts editions, lessening the tightness of my tin foil hat, and the ease of running many vms, backup services etc.
And I appreciate windows xp on my retro gaming pc for playing all the old games w10 can’t handle :slight_smile:
Different os’s for different purposes.
And since I have multiple pc’s, I can and do run different os’s for different purposes.
I might have a pc hoarding problem, or so my friends say. But what’s wrong with owning +6 pc’s?
Edit for typos.

2 Likes

Ruby - the non-squiggly bracket language (save blocks and procs… but you know what I mean), which isn’t annoying or OCD about your indentation.

1 Like

I can appreciate Windows and Linux not being written in Ruby.:grinning:

1 Like

BTW:

https://blog.teamtreehouse.com/coolest-ruby-projects-ever

(Lmao, Discourse made that list. Also GitLab and Chef, fam :wink: )

0 Likes

I really appreciate how Linux handles mounting partitions.
Managed to brick my install this weekend while playing around with real time kernel features, reinstalled the OS and all my data is still there, even my active tabs just come straight up after the install.
Sure Linux might break more often than windows, but when it breaks it is a much more pleasant experience getting it back up and running.

1 Like

When Ruby was popular.

1 Like

0 Likes

Thanks For sharing. its helped to me

1 Like