Linux Phone Review

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but I would love it if the Tek could review an Ubuntu phone. Either by buying one off the shelf, or by converting an existing phone. It would be useful to find out how good it was able to handle car navigation (google maps?) as well as general phone use such as calling/texting.

I'm an android user that's been using Linux for my desktop since 2012. I like the idea of my phone having the CLI and being able to update the phone from there rather than having to wait for updates to come from the various vendors which often just don't happen. I like to think this might make my phone more secure and allow me to break out of this cycle of having to change out my phone every year not due to the specs, but because it is no longer supported.

1 Like

There are no phones that are available in the US at the moment either Ubuntu or Sailfish. The last gen Nexus 5 has a port of both and you can triple boot it.

Ah! Didn't realize that. I wonder why ubuntu phones are available in europe and not the US. All I can think is that it is to do with the fact that Ubuntu is a British company?

partially that, partially the stupid patent trolling

the Meizu x4 is sated for a US release at some point. Cannolical said that there will be another more well known phone company releasing a Ubunutu phone in the US

The Nexus 4 can be flashed to the latest build. The Nexus 4 was always the official development phone. I picked up my Nexus 4 from ebay for £50 second hand. It is in great condition, it was my intention to flash it to Ubuntu but discovered how good a phone it was and it quickly became my daily driver. I will flash it one day but not until I find a replacement. Having used a Nexus phone I fear I will never be happy unless the next one is a Nexus as well. The cost of second hand Nexus 5 is still a little too rich for me at the moment.

also interested in a ubuntu / linux handset, would be good to get some reviews, tests and then noob guides on how to do it.

1 Like

I actually did that! Ubuntu phone was actually awesome, I was not a fan of Jolla/Sailfish though the gestures were cool and all but it felt to unnatural to me.

The Nexus 4 can be flashed to the latest build. The Nexus 4 was always the official development phone. I picked up my Nexus 4 from ebay for £50 second hand.

Well it looks like getting the nexus 4 running ubuntu would make a great video for the tek linux channel. Looking on ebay here in the UK they are running < £50 which is a great price for a phone.

I have a nexus 5 lying around somewhere, might flash Ubuntu and see if there have been any bog changes since last year.

Last time I check the maintainer for multiboot(the easiest way to run the Ubuntu rom) had disappeared from xda and the play store and the multiboot option no longer worked. But ill see if anything has changed and get back to you.

I can confirm dual booting a nexus 5 works well, though I no longer have the phone to test the latest iteration.

Nokia N900 can do some pretty funny stuff.If you can find it,it runs maemo .

1 Like