Linux Phone Hub

I kinda agree with him. It’s not meant to be a high end thing.

4 Likes

Honestly I’m looking for a Linux phone with open source firmware that’s powerful enough to emulate android apps (or even android itself) so I won’t have to sacrifice anything switching over. I think that would really sell among power users

2 Likes
Not sure if this is Risc-V Pine64 like I thought

What? Could Pine64 be getting into risk? I’d love to see a Risc-V PinePhone 2.

Looks like it’s just Wifi and Bluetooth.

https://www.pine64.org/2020/10/28/nutcracker-challenge-blob-free-wifi-ble/

I did find out that Pine has a news channel on telegram.

It bothers me that so many open source projects use Telegram.

Manjaro even ships Telegram installed by default on their Pinephone images.

My 3gb+32gb Manjaro PinePhone with the convergence package came in.

Oddly enough, it doesn’t feel or look quite as nice as my UBports phone.

Time to throw my sim in it and see if I can daily it. Lol

Oh the plastic pull tab between the battery’s contacts is more obvious now. Lol

3 Likes

It’s $200 and niche.

Not sure about the ubports phone, but it’s on par with what I expected.

They’re supposed to be exactly the same, but the seams from the mold are more noticeable on the Manjaro phone. Also the back cover doesn’t seem to fit quite as flush. I’m really, really nit picking here though.

Oh, that’s interesting.

I don’t have those issues in my phone. (I don’t think, I’ll have to pull the Manjaro one out of the packaging) might have been a fluke?

It’s very minor. Nothing I’d consider a problem. Also I will say the type C hub feels really nice.

I’m not putting my daily sim in my new Manjaro phone because Posh is still trash as far as I’m concerned.

My biggest complaint is that it’s still using the desktop Firefox which is just too slow, and unoptimized.

Unfortunately the developer who’s working on Lomiri is still sick and hasn’t returned, from what I read this morning.

I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the C hub. The pictures make it seem chincy, but it appears to be milled aluminum and is incredibly solid.

Yeah, not sure what happened there, but he’s down for the count. I don’t expect anything until 2021 on lomiri.

sigh that’s frustrating, but I don’t really use a browser on mobile, so…

1 Like

Have you tried to daily it then? If so how was the reliability of text/call?

FIrefox being the desktop version is easily solved. You’ve got pacman, remove it and install another browser. :laughing:

1 Like

That’s great, except… I want the Morph browser which doesn’t seem to be available.

Oh that’s annoying.

Text was 10/10 for me. For non pictures. Didn’t test pics. Since I don’t use em.

Calling seemed fine. There are some bugs around pickup and alerting, but that’s expected and known.

1 Like

I stumbled upon this when I was looking through the Manjaro forms.
It’s a multi-boot image that can boot the following distros.

[Relatively] small 5GiB image containing 13 distributions:
Arch Linux ARM 2020-09-08
Lune OS 0.113
Maemo Leste 20200906
Mobian 20200912
KDE Neon 20200912-132511
pmOS / fbkeyboard 2020-09-11
pmOS / GNOME 2020-09-11
pmOS / Phosh 2020-09-11
pmOS / Plasma Mobile 2020-09-11
PureOS 20200908
Sailfish 1.1-3.3.0.16-devel-20200909
pmOS / sxmo 0.1.8-20200726
Ubuntu Touch 2020-09-10

No idea if it’s safe, so use at your own risk.

https://xnux.eu/p-boot-demo/

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen it. I think I’m gonna give it a go, actually.

1 Like

I started the download, but it wasn’t going to be done at a reasonable time so I’ll install it after work.

Even if you don’t multi-boot, p-boot is probably worth installing because it’s fast. Faster than u-boot. Almost instant boot fast.

It also shuts down fast. :laughing:

The new version can also hit the 60hz refresh of the display.

I’ve set up a ~$10 recurring montly donation to megi, because their work on the Pinephone is awesome.

https://xnux.eu/contribute.html

The included PureOS release is surprisingly responsive for being Phosh/Phoc. I wonder if Purism removed more Gnome crap, because if it’s still in there, this is the best Gnome-based distro I’ve ever used on any device.

Which is not to say that this is actually good. Just that Gnome is terrible.

2 Likes