Linux Phone Hub

I went ahead and flashed the latest Manjaro Phosh image that came out this week, then installed the Gnome firmware app and upgraded the modem firmware to the open source image. So easy even I can do it. PinePhone UBPorts edition. Test call worked fine.

I did have a bit of quirkiness with the UI of Gnome firmware, I think because I had my phone in a dock connected to a monitor. Probably would have been fine if I was just plugged into power.

2 Likes

that great to hear… can’t wait to get mine working again

Hey @max1220 have you seen this?

Conveniently enough it’s in the Arch User Repository.

Community update!

Most of the news is on the new RK3588 SBC, but here’s the phone relevant stuff:

• Pinephone Pro orders should be caught up from Chinese New Year.
  • Tow-Boot, an opinionated distro of u-boot, now supports Pinephone and Pinephone Pro in addition to other Pine devices.
  • LibreELEC on Pinephone can achieve 1080p@50-60hz
  • FexEMU aims to be faster than Box86 and is actively targeting fully Steam and Proton capability. Not there yet, but rapidly improving.
4 Likes

thanks, I had overlooked the Fex Emu mention. I had just begun to look at Box64, but perhaps I should check out fex instead.

not a phone, but mobile Linux open source goodness… Portable microcomputer ClockWork DevTerm adds RISC-V SKU to Cortex offerings

Should hopefully get my replacement bits next week and off to the races once again.

Anyone got tow-boot running on their pinephone pro? simple process?

1 Like

Okay bit of post here atm.

Firstly… I’ve been a bit quiet here as on day 1 my screen got a crack in it… It got suuuuuper hot and i believe it did so causing the LCD to crack. I had no damage to the outer glass, etc.

Lodged an issue ticket with Pine64… lucky me it was Chinese new year and i basically got ghosted till that was over. I had to raise a further ticket highlighting my ignored ticket and then it was decided on their end that they would offer a new screen.

I accepted the new screen and watched a bunch of the youtube video on how to swap it over on the original pinephone…

Screen was posted on March 3 and finally arrived in australis today… 21st…

I set about swapping everything over. I would say it took me about 30 minutes having never done it before. I used a decent toolkit and a plastic lever style tool to get most of it out and into the new screen. Be careful with the ribbon cable tabs…

I managed to get the USB C daughterboard and speaker assembly out using a hair drier to loosen the glue… it didn’t take a lot of heat but i was worried about just peeling it off as it seemed fairly stuck in…

Got the phone together and it booted, with the screen working as new :slight_smile:

Managed to get tow boot installed using a fresh sd card flashed with the spi installer using etcher.

Got into the emmc partition by holding vol up and power… There will be no screen however the LED with stay blue… plug into PC and this exposes the EMMC to the PC. Flashed manjaro ARM Phosh over my non updating broken Majnaro ARM Plasma build… Unplug and reboot… Success!!

I’m back baby… (as bender would say)

7 Likes

glad to hear you’re back in business.

3 Likes

My favorite Linux phone

Base models ran on 8MB of RAM! Back then it was common practice to ‘ROM’ the kernel and applications into the NOR flash so it felt more like 16MB. Wish I still had it just to show.

3 Likes

Anyone got an idea how to resize app window in manjaro plasma? Bitwarden either installed native or flatpak will just force itself out of screen bounds. I tried fullscreen mode but it forces it out over the navbar I had to reboot

Manjaro Phosh isnt too bad but i like some of the things in plasma…

Tried mobian phosh but its kinda much the same and less featured at this time (I do like the apt package stuff as im far more familiar with debian based Ubuntu)

Im yet to try pmos ran out of spare SD cards lol

2 Likes

Im thinking maybe you could temporarily do a 100% scale of the interface and mabe try to do a “landscape” mode if available (instead of the 150% to 200%)?

Seems like a pain everytime I want a password :expressionless:

2 Likes

CLI is an option for Bitwarden, you know…

If you have the keyboard, this could be an easier approach.

1 Like

Yeah but cbf going that hard core on a phone I’ll eventually daily… hopefully can sort something if not ill use the web vault

Haha, yes I saw that.
I’ve even commented on the video 5 months ago.

1 Like
  • PineBuds are real

• postmarketOS and Mobian have formally adopted Tow-Boot as the Pinephone bootloader
  • Next production run of Pinephone keyboards is coming
  • Many keyboard driver improvements especially surrounding charging
  • ElementryOS is considering ports to Pinephone and Pinephone pro
  • Pinephone Pro wiki documentation got a major update
  • LinuxPhoneApps.org
2 Likes

I’ve been playing with Tow-Boot and Mobian’s weekly image to my non-Pro Pinephone. I have been pleasantly surprised.

For those that don’t know why Tow-Boot is so exciting, it’s basically like TWRP on Android devices.

It has a nice touchscreen GUI, can handle basic tasks like erasing eMMC or installing itself to eMMC.

It’s got a nice visual hint when the screen is pressed, so it feels more polished than it looks in stills.

Mobian now assumes Tow-Boot and doesn’t manage the bootloader. It launches a GUI installer, asks you to create a PIN, select which device to install to (eMMC, in this case), select between ext4 and btrfs root filesystems and then…

Enable full device encryption! :partying_face:

It also has a full alpha keyboard at the unlock stage so that you can use phrases, and it’s responsive enough that it’s useful.

I’m so thrilled with my experience that I’m willing to put up with Phosh until the other options mature on Mobian.

7 Likes

Many small fixes and improvement to get SteamPlay (i.e. proton) working

New box64 release has this in their changelog.

Has anybody been poking at Box?

1 Like

I haven’t. I have buried myself in projects, and since weather has been ok, I’ve been trying to get some of those done.

If it’s what I think it is then that sounds really cool, and I’ll have to poke the box when weather is bad or hot.