Linux Phone Hub

My favorite Linux phone

Base models ran on 8MB of RAM! Back then it was common practice to ‘ROM’ the kernel and applications into the NOR flash so it felt more like 16MB. Wish I still had it just to show.

3 Likes

Anyone got an idea how to resize app window in manjaro plasma? Bitwarden either installed native or flatpak will just force itself out of screen bounds. I tried fullscreen mode but it forces it out over the navbar I had to reboot

Manjaro Phosh isnt too bad but i like some of the things in plasma…

Tried mobian phosh but its kinda much the same and less featured at this time (I do like the apt package stuff as im far more familiar with debian based Ubuntu)

Im yet to try pmos ran out of spare SD cards lol

2 Likes

Im thinking maybe you could temporarily do a 100% scale of the interface and mabe try to do a “landscape” mode if available (instead of the 150% to 200%)?

Seems like a pain everytime I want a password :expressionless:

2 Likes

CLI is an option for Bitwarden, you know…

If you have the keyboard, this could be an easier approach.

1 Like

Yeah but cbf going that hard core on a phone I’ll eventually daily… hopefully can sort something if not ill use the web vault

Haha, yes I saw that.
I’ve even commented on the video 5 months ago.

1 Like
  • PineBuds are real

• postmarketOS and Mobian have formally adopted Tow-Boot as the Pinephone bootloader
  • Next production run of Pinephone keyboards is coming
  • Many keyboard driver improvements especially surrounding charging
  • ElementryOS is considering ports to Pinephone and Pinephone pro
  • Pinephone Pro wiki documentation got a major update
  • LinuxPhoneApps.org
2 Likes

I’ve been playing with Tow-Boot and Mobian’s weekly image to my non-Pro Pinephone. I have been pleasantly surprised.

For those that don’t know why Tow-Boot is so exciting, it’s basically like TWRP on Android devices.

It has a nice touchscreen GUI, can handle basic tasks like erasing eMMC or installing itself to eMMC.

It’s got a nice visual hint when the screen is pressed, so it feels more polished than it looks in stills.

Mobian now assumes Tow-Boot and doesn’t manage the bootloader. It launches a GUI installer, asks you to create a PIN, select which device to install to (eMMC, in this case), select between ext4 and btrfs root filesystems and then…

Enable full device encryption! :partying_face:

It also has a full alpha keyboard at the unlock stage so that you can use phrases, and it’s responsive enough that it’s useful.

I’m so thrilled with my experience that I’m willing to put up with Phosh until the other options mature on Mobian.

7 Likes

Many small fixes and improvement to get SteamPlay (i.e. proton) working

New box64 release has this in their changelog.

Has anybody been poking at Box?

1 Like

I haven’t. I have buried myself in projects, and since weather has been ok, I’ve been trying to get some of those done.

If it’s what I think it is then that sounds really cool, and I’ll have to poke the box when weather is bad or hot.

Posh gets a little less awful.

TL;DR: You can now drag menus around like a normal mobile OS.

things keep moving forward. excite

I’m still not dailying my pinephone, but I’m keeping it up to date.

4 Likes

Community update time

Community update time has been aligned to the 28th of every month going forward.

These photos were taken with a Pinephone Pro using newly exposed camera BSP features. Post processing was done using the CLI. Megapixels does not yet support these new features, but may in the future.

PulseAudio now supports the Bluetooth HFP in ModemManager, shipping first in postmarketOS.

Waydroid Manager tool

Maui Shell Installer for Pinephone Pro

Also a fairly lengthy discussion of the many problems with the keyboard accessory.

3 Likes

Checks into Linux phone thread to see if its becoming more phone or more Arch BTW bros…

Ah hell…

moar modem firmware updates! Updating to the Biktorgj firmware on the PinePhone - YouTube

2 Likes

Has anyone here gotten MMS/grouptext working on the pinephone? I’m on Phosh/Chatty.

2 Likes

Just ordered the keyboard accessory and a pine power station :)… Honestly considering in grabbing an original pinephone… Kinda tired of Android at the moment and the pro is not ready yet… I have a 1+ nord and the custom Rom scene is kinda dead…

I did a full switch to ub touch on the pixel 3a xl and got wire guard working fairly reliably… I posted on the pine64 forums my method for getting wire guard to install, activate/deactivate with launcher, etc… Tutorial - Wireguard Enable/Disable without an app using the launcher (including wifi toggle if you wish) | UBports Forum

I lasted about 6 days with no real deal breakers as I could basically do everything I needed… Matrix was a little flakey but there was only the app cinny which seemed feature rich enough with e2ee support but had no video support.

The biggest problem I had was on day six… WiFi just stopped, completely. No amount of toggling, rebooting or cli toggling or scanning would bring it back… Just, gone. So back to LOS 19.1 for the pixel.

I have it working now. Just needed to install ‘mmsd-tng’ and fill in the MMSC, APN, and port info correctly, which was a bit confusing to me, partly because I’m on RedPocket service rather than the likes of ATT or Verizon. Also mobile data has to be active for that stuff to come through.

1 Like

I’d recommend holding out with the Pro till it matures enough to switch over to it, rather than buying the non-pro PinePhone as a stopgap, but that’s me not wanting to spend more money. I’d like to think it will get there in a few months.

That said the og PinePhone has been my only phone for over a year now and it does what I need, which isn’t much more than to be a phone and web browser. I never got into android or iOS so I guess I don’t know what I’m missing out on, and I didn’t really have any apps that I needed to get working (or find a substitute for) on the PinePhone.