Linux on Dell XPS 15 2 in 1

Hey @Zora_Z0. I own the same laptop and I have Ubuntu 18.04 installed. Can you please share your experience with two things:

1. Does the fan start going super wild once you do something intensive - e.g. display 4K
  2. My AMD Vega M card is not recognized by the os. I wanted to download linux drivers but am not sure which ones to download AMD-RX-Vega-64 or AMD-RX-Vega-56?

Thanks in advance!

My laptop actually has a 1080p (1920X1080) display I got it custom made on dells business website so Iā€™m not sure how different your experience will be. But the only time the fans go loud is when I do graphics intensive stuff like playing games but I have yet to try something like video editing since I havenā€™t been able to get Davinci resolve working yet.
As for the graphics card in my experience Ubuntu 18.04 will not say that it is using the AMD graphics card but in reality it is. In 19.04 under details in settings it will actually show you both graphics cards but in 18.04 it will only show the Intel one. I honestly had more trouble trying to get Ubuntu to work them I did with POP_OS so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Sorry if Iā€™m not much help I am still complete beginner and am mostly testing this OS to see how viable it is as an option for replacing Windows.

Ok so I think I found a bug. The micro sd card reader thats built into the laptop is not working properly in 19.04 but I dont remember if it was working in 18.04. It kinda works if I run this command in terminal

sudo apt-get install --reinstall udisks2

and then reboot while the SD card is still in the laptop and it will work but you cant eject it and replace the card because it will not read it. If anyone else has either Ubuntu 18.04 or Pop 18.04 with the same laptop can you tell me if its working on there?

Form what I am seeing is that it doesnā€™t seem to register that an SD card is installed and until you type in the command but even then it seem like it does not refresh the device list, not sure what the real technical term is, until you reboot. Also if anyone has a solution for this please let me know because searching for the answer online just comes up with typing the command and rebooting and it should work but I am still having issues and have to keep doing that every time I want to use a micro sd card. It might also have to do with the kernel so I might have to look up how to update the kernel in 19.04 Pop_OS.

I know this is over a year ago but I have a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 as well (except itā€™s an i7 8705G + 16 GB) and it seems like my keyboard and touchpad randomly stops working, has anyone experienced this?

I have a similar experience on the 9575. Initially my touchpad/keyboard will not work after boot, but once I put it to sleep and wake it up, everything seems to function. I have had the touchpad randomly stop working, in which I have to go through the same sleep-wake-up routine. Iā€™ve not been able to find a fix yet, unfortunately.

1 Like

The random keyboard/trackpad not working after boot/waking from sleep also impacts Inspiron 2-in-1 and Latitude across other Linux distros so its more than likely a kernel issue where the touchscreen randomly turns into the default input.

As far as the SD slot weirdness, isnā€™t just a Dell issue but it depends upon how the card reader is attached to the USB bus, if the card reader is bridged like the built-in webcam itā€™ll usually work. Some OEMs put it onto an isolated hub(Linux has issues polling card status), others share it with one of the USB 3.0 ports and a few will use PCIe(I think Lenovo still uses PCIe for the SDXC slot on a few Thinkpad models).

1 Like

It seems that flipping the screen past the 180 degree mark and back again immediately fixes the issue. I found some good information here that completely fixed the touchpad issue:

bugs.launchpad [dot net] /ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1822394