Linux (Mint) and USB

So…I’m troubleshooting a problem and hoping you folks can help a newbie with some troubleshooting advice and/or direction.

I’m running Linux Mint 20 on an Intel NUC and accessing a Proxmox Windows VM via NoMachine (not entirely sure if this information is helpful for any advice, but thought I’d throw it in).

The issue I am having is with USB devices, specifically a Fujitsu Scan Snap ix500, but also with NoMachine “recognizing” USB connected devices to pass-through to the Windows VM.

When I run lsusb, devices are recognized (see below), but, using the ScanSnap as an example, neither the built-in Scanner nor VueScan recognize the scanner on launch (sane previously updated).

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04c5:132b Fujitsu, Ltd ScanSnap iX500
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2109:0812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2109:0812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2109:0812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 017: ID 05ac:1392 Apple, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 016: ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 001 Device 015: ID 046d:082d Logitech, Inc. HD Pro Webcam C920
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID b58e:9e84 Blue Microphones Yeti Stereo Microphone
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 214a:0002 VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0554:1001 Dictaphone Corp. General Purpose USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0451:2036 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2036 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So, what I’m trying to figure out is:

1. Why, if the lsusb command shows connected devices, neither Scanner nor VueScan can see the device?
  2. Why, if the lsusb command shows connected devices, NoMachine doesn’t see the connected USB devices either?

I suspect I’m missing a crucial piece of troubleshooting, so my question to the group is, “what am I missing?” I’m not asking for a solution per se, but rather the process to arrive at a solution. My sincere thanks in advance!

So, if you do an lsmod -v, see if those USB devices have a module loaded for them.

Essentially, if the host recognizes the device and loads a module to initialize the device, your guest will not be able to see it and the hypervisor will not be able to pass the device through.

Essentially you would need to black list the device or setup No machine to take owner ship of the USB device/hub so that it can be recognized by the guest.

Is say this from Virtualization experience but I have not used ProxMox or NoMachine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the direction and advice. It’s more than one USB device, but nonetheless, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll run that command this morning and see what it shows.

1 Like

The recommendation would be to select a USB hub to pass through to the guest and plug all of those things into that hub. Then you only need to work on the Hub and you do not need to add some many exceptions for each individual device.

1 Like

I ran lsmod and noted that I still have virtualbox installed which makes me wonder if that might be causing some of the issue!

USB hub…got it…now to figure out how to do that! Lesson number XXX :wink:

2 Likes

Virtualbox can install a daemon if you allowed it to. Usually that is for networking though.

ah…good poing…pruged regardless…no change ;(

and…interestingly, I rebooted after removing and purging virtualbox only to see that VueScan now “sees” my USB connected Fujitsu scanner

Nice. When it comes to VM Hypervisors, some system wide changes unfortunately require a reboot, even on unix-like systems.

well, this has been a recurrent problem and I still can’t get a local USB mic passed to a Proxmox VM via NoMachine. Well in full clarity, trying to learn how to do this. So far, all the articles I’ve been able to find involve passing a USB device which is directly attached to the ProxMox server vs passing on the USB device from a client connecting to a ProxMox VM.

Yeah, I can’t help you there. I have no experience with ProxMox and NoMachine.

appreciate you piping in regardless nonetheless!

Solution (partial): perhaps out of frustration, I uninstalled NoMachine after reading that there are some USB devices that NoMachine is unable to forward. I then reinstalled NoMachine, connected it to the VM and, again, noted that no USB devices were detected. I think the magic trick is that I went to get a coffee only to return (about 20 minutes) later to see that, now, USB devices were detected. Go figure…I guess the coffee did the trick although I will look at alternatives to NoMachine in preparation for this happening again.

I usually resort to insulting the offending devices mother. Perhaps the coffee ritual is needed for my own sanity. Sometimes people ask me for help and when I get to their computer its already working. I used to think they were just using it wrong, but maybe theres a conspiracy to foil us :wink:

1 Like

ha!
it sure seems that way!
at the very least, it’s an excuse to drink more coffee!
and…I learned a bit during the troubleshooting process, so that’s a good thing too!