Linux is user friendly

If linux is user friendly, why are Samba shares such pain in the a$$

Samba creates windows network shares on Linux

Windows cannot access Linux NFS shares

1 Like

I don’t like to further the necro, but the only printer issue I have is that we have a carbon printer and the driver for it isn’t built in. My mom uses Netrunner on a core 2 duo laptop and she uses Skanlite for the scanner with no issues and the printer part works fine.

Literally no problems at all in any OS or DE.

1 Like

Just got back from the mother-in-law’s house. I set her up on Ubuntu a while back. She needs a re-OS at this point. Shit’s just gotten out of whack and I don’t feel like untangling it. I figured I put her on Linux a year and a half, maybe two years ago? It’s been far better than when she was on Windows. Literally having to re-OS every year, if not sooner.

Anyways, I got to looking at her computer. No, I put her on Ubuntu 15.04 when it was new. She’s gone nearly 3 years without a wipe and reinstall. Speaking of printers, her printer did die during this period. She went out with her oldest son and picked one off the shelf at Office Depot, and brought it back.

As you might imagine, they ran into problems getting it to work, because the driver CD didn’t have anything for Linux on it. So they called me up, and in 10 keystrokes and 5 clicks, they had a test page spitting out of the printer.

Printers can be hell if you want to use the full functionality of the MFPs. But honestly, printing and scanning make up most of what I’ve seen people need to use. Scanning to a USB thumb drive isn’t a particularly large inconvenience compared to the utter hell that is Windows and printers. I mean sure, Linux doesn’t get the printing suite that come with say HP printers. But on the other hand, Linux doesn’t have to deal with 500MB printing suites that you have to deal with in Windows. Jesus christ, I just wanted drivers, not a whole goddamned suite.

2 Likes

Many Dell/HP MFP printers are coming with Linux support out of the box now.

1 Like

Sorry that I haven’t read all the posts but “Linux is user friendly” until your alsa breaks and you replace/combine it with pulseaudio and then it randomly stops for no reason. Other than that and xorg beeing litle bitch it’s pretty amazing expirience.