Linux is user friendly

Linux is user friendly like a lion is friendly,

You can learn and train with it as much as you like but one day it'll bite you in the ass.

Been using it for 10+ years. Any problem I have encountered has been one I created. Just like the one that caused you to rage quit.

All OSs have pros and cons

Go troll elsewhere.

1 Like

eat a snickers , you aren't you when you're hungry

You aren't contributing anything to the discussion.

For example if you said "FGLRX (AMD Drivers) install on Linux is obtuse on many distros"

I would agree with you.

Be a better critic.

Well said.

And now that the dust has settled some, I have to give it up to Linux, on my Lenovo T420 and Ubuntu, all my function keys work (though I did research around as to what laptops have the most support, I didn't shoot in the dark). After my Samsung Win7 laptop updated to Win10, the fn keys stopped working, and MS has a lot of people on payroll to make things "just work". On the flip side, Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, all supposed to be cut from the same cloth, but installing things is totally different between all of them- example VMware, the fingerprint scanner on my T420, chrome etc. Pretty frustrating. I think if the respective distros had a comprehensive wiki it would be a big help. I've found the Arch wiki to be very helpful even though I don't have the balls to try Arch out.

I'm not a big gamer and it seems one of the biggest issues people have with going 100% linux is gaming. I'm going to test a postage printer I have with Wine, along with some other things, and I already got my other Windows XP only software to work in a VM. I really think I could do the linux for a year (with a little bit of Windows in a VM here and there) thing without too much sacrifice, if any.

1 Like

Why VMware? There are a ton of hypervisors for Linux

I already have a license for VMware workstation pro, so I use it, and I don't want a type 1 bare metal on the laptop.

I'm still debating what my type 1 at home will be when I get there. I want to use proxmox.

Proxmox Uses Kernel Virtual Machine (built right in the kernel.)

Ah I understand why VMware now.

Just an update here. My friend has now been using linux for quite some time, and hasn't even come and asked me a question. Every once in a while I ask her about and she is like "Yeah everything works fine." So she is actually using it. It is always good to get new people using linux!

2 Likes

I was a linux user years ago with something like Ubuntu 8.14 or something like that. I know use mostly windows due my programming class forcing me to use visio or word to make flowcharts. Also a good many of the main game titles that I play do not port well to linux. Other wise I would be more than happy to use wine for my office needs and run my games in steam if they would work. I currently have a dual boot setup with separate SSDs for linux and windows but find myself logging in to windows more than linux :(

What I don't like about linux is that it has no future as a promised gaming powerhouse. It always loses the competition.
While some distros try a lot to be user-friendly, then again you stumble into compatibility issues

So like every other platform?

2 Likes

If your up to date on all things microsoft, You would know that what's on the horizon is a fork in the road for PC Gaming...

Just wanted to add in an update here:

My friend here used her laptop until the day it died, with no real issues. I had to help her one time when it came time to update from frome linux lite 2 to linux lite 3. Other than that I never really had to help her with anything.

2 Likes

She probably didnā€™t do much with it. Probably just browsing a web and typing documents. Has she tried to print from it or use a scanner?

She is home schooled so she was using it for all of that. Also I donā€™t understand all of this stuff about printing on linux. I have never had a single problem.

2 Likes

Same here. Itā€™s even easier to set up a printer than MacOS and Windows in my opinion.

2 Likes

Most of the printers in the house are here because they quit working for other people and when I would test them could get them to work with linux but not with windows. Never ending wall of installing drivers and removing them and trying different things and not getting them to work, but they just work when plugged into a linux box. Only down side is I got a lot of printers and scanners around here that people took home from work to see if they could get them working then they end up here eventually.

1 Like

But are you able to use all the functions?

Printing and scanning worked fine. Never tried to fax anything. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever sent a fax in my life.