Linux is user friendly

Glad you found it funny, I didn't want to be out of line or anything, just found it amusing.

And while I'm in here, to contribute properly to the topic. I think Linux has been user-friendly for years, and I don't think anyone would disagree too much about that. But that's simply not enough for wide adoption.

It's harder than it should be to set things up in linux if you're doing more than web-browsing. There is no reason I should have to use a termnial just to install spotify or steam. Not that it's hard for me, but for an average user? forget it.

It's not. In basic internet browsing and some productivity (LibreOffice, Blender, Audacity, Inkspace, Thunderbird etc) it does very well. It's a closed mentality and lack of effort to not be able to adapt. Games and Adobe are different although but partly achievable through wine...

Not sure why people are so scared of that Black Window with all these wildcards and in white font cluttering the screen... It just holds all the power the OS has you know... perl, rsync, wget, cron jobs backups & rename, 7z and tarballs, who wouldv'e thought such things are builtins from that hideous "Terminal"

Lol !

2 Likes

My plan for Christmas is to hand an old laptop running Lubuntu to one of my cousins to see if he likes to program or not. If he messes it up, then not the end of the world. However if he likes it, its a gateway drug to the world of computer science. I think he is 12 now so he should be able to handle it without issue. Linux has a learning curve, but I don't think its as impossible as people think.

2 Likes

Learn Perl and Python. Set him up for a career early

It's not. I am in the process of trying to switch my business hardware OS's to KDE mint w/plasma 4.

1 Like

LOLZ!

BTW I am totally surprised the moderators did not edit your post. Your are like a ninja or something. :P

1 Like

Because people are closed-minded.

2 Likes

I remember when I was a kid I installed ubuntu which had gnome 2 at the time. Was pretty easy to use IIRC, got Diablo 2 and some other games running through Wine pretty easily too. I tend to think that people just don't care enough to be bothered to try other operating systems.

1 Like

You sound like an Arch-friend of mine...

By that definition windows isn't user-friendly
Is there a gui way to disable the hibernation 'feature'

1 Like

I never said Windows was user friendly now did i?

Steam is on the pkg manager nowadays. To install mincraft I needed the terminal and some sudo cmd with a bunch of stuff afterwards........Cut copy n paste and I don't have to know what sudo means.
MS knocked outta the park with win 10. Of course droid is forcing them to stop making bloatware.

Yeah, but when you install steam and it refuses to launch (something I have yet to have happen on Windows) your have to go into the terminal to fix it.

Not me! I am not that smart. I just wipe the drive and try a flavor that works:)

I'm not that smart either, I just google what ever my problem is, usually brings me to a forum where some smart dude figured out the problem, copy and paste the console commands, hope it doesn't blow up my computer. :)

2 Likes

My favorite thing about Linux is how it can extend the life of older hardware. Win 7 was chocking the life out my old X3 when the new MB only had 2 slots and I went from 8 to 4 gigs. I love Win 10 and on my 7860k Win 10 is superior to Linux. Any amd gpu I would go with Win 10. But an older system I like Linux and the games available for Linux are not usually top end.

1 Like

Other than installing, I've had a pretty good experience with the new crimson drivers on linux. In fact, it's probably the only AMD diver that I have ever installed that has actually worked in linux.

I've gotten better at knowing what to do when shit goes wrong, like this time around installing the drivers I knew have all the dependencies installed first. I'm just saying this is a big part of the reason why people ignore linux. They just want things to work and don't want to spend there time dicking around with a terminal to get basic things to work. (I know I sure don't a lot of the time)

1 Like

Yeah LinuxLite is nice and easy to start with, and she didn't even have to set it up. You did. If you gave her a copy of Debian and said go at it, I'm sure she would have a different experience. If I gave my dad, a copy of Debian, and said go at it, he'd not be able to get the damn thing installed. Being able to setup one teen with linux after you'd already set it up and shown them what they need is totally different from Joe Bob who's ran windows for 10 years and not had to ever use anything else on a desktop. Joe Bob is going to get his usb copy of Debian, butcher his install, and get stuck. Linux will just not be as nearly well adopted on the desktop as Windows until its simple enough that an ex-windows user can pick it up and run in a matter of an hour.

2 Likes