Linux is user friendly

I have to agree, I feel the only way that Linux can match Windows, is if Linux does things that Microsoft does not. That is, have the OS ask "would you like me to do this for you? Or, would you like to do this manually?" Linux can do a lot for you, but you have to figure it out. MS does everything for you, but gives you no freedom. I think, when it comes to windows adopters, the package managers need to do more on auto while giving the option to allow the user to do what they want. I am not complaining about the way Linux does it now, but if Linux wants windows users, Linux has to offer the convenience that windows offers while retaining power users by offering the same freedom that it does now.

1 Like

yeah. My buddy is an Arch user. He keeps trying to lure me to the OS but I'm not ready for that kind of configuration. Maybe in a couple weeks

Thank the maker, That Linux does what you tell it, and not just the install.exe >click > click > click > install complete
I eventually felt that there was so much more to learn in Windows, but since everything is spoonfed to you, you really don't have that decision. Which is why they can spy etc...

Keep in Mind, My comment was predicated upon the assumption that the user was a very new user; and that to adopt wide spread use by had been windows users, Linux would have to offer the same "install.exe click>click>click" type installation, while also offering a manual install option

Oh I understand, But I was expounding on my experience. 25+yrs of the Windows experience was enough for me.

There are all kinds of install guides on YouTube. I would bet that my Grandmother could install Linux if she just followed a YouTube video.

Also why would I give her a more complicated distribution? The most advanced thing she will be doing is using web apps to edit images. Linux was an excellent solution. It was probably better than windows even if the cost wasn't a problem.

Only issue I have with Linux is with AMD Video drivers, they often don't install well (black screens, compile issues) and the OSS Radeon driver causing crashing for me. Each time I install a new distro/or update, often means several hours of problem solving JUST the AMD Drivers.

Hope they figure it out soon, AMD could really use the market share for Linux.

this'd be why my PC is just sitting up on its perch, not plugged in even.
i cant get the damned thing to work no matter what. first its issues with my GPU not pulling the right basic driver and some Xorg stuff, then its unable to get a network driver because my (very popular and common) motherboard has an ethernet card that is apparently unsupported, so i say screw it and buy a plug&play network card..... THEN its unable to find the USB key, then the next issue and so on. im waiting until there is a push-button solution for me to even try again. T^T

would his name by chance be Gabmus? xP
i have a friend over in (italy i beleive) who is trying to tell me to just use arch.
cant even install it in the first place yo. ._.

1 Like

me BF just calls me by my name, meanwhile im beyond steriotypical and actually have a spreadsheet to keep track of all 80+ nic-names i have for him.
Hun Bun is my favorate though. :3

1 Like

I very much understand what you are getting at, however there are not enough people willing to do that, therefore those masses, which would raise awareness of the need to support linux, Never see linux as a true alternative. If there is a barrier for eatery at all, many wont care. If a larger more in-depth utility was put together ...MAYBE you could make an argument for that from the standpoint of windows users. but it would have to be far more in-depth than it is now. It does provide an education, but that education is a barrier for entry which a lot of people wont pay because they simply want to do the things they used to do, seamlessly. We cant have a barrier for entry whilst also asking for more support

''linux doesnt have a big isntall base so we wont code for it yet''
''no one codes for it yet so why shoudl i even bother''

It's a chicken and egg issue. Please for the love of fried squid we need it to take off like a thermite fire and just spread. :/

2 Likes

Well yeah, Linux is user friendly if you read the documentation or a dedicated book. Most people don't do that.

And besides, Linux is always more on the power-user side of things, as compared to Win/Mac, so there is a lot more configurations to do, and to keep it simple, configurations are text-based or command-line based. Front-ends for things are more problematic than they're helpful.

Also, It wasn't as friendly 13 years ago when I was struggling with Mandrake.

It's easy for everyday use. For more advanced use, pick up a book before you go on the forums.

1 Like

You are actually %100 correct.
However, It will sacrifice better support in the end. either way, I personally, am fine. I use Linux and am happy with the way it works. But it will sacrifice support with that mindset.

Thanks for the reply...I was kinda kidding and trust me, I know that joy when a problem fights you and you defeat it.
I saw a post from a console gamer who tried pc gaming and did what he was advised to do on the forums. After a while he gave up cause franky he just wanted to play his games instead of updating and messing with settings. 20 years ago I would spend hours installing Minix on an IBM 5150 8088 just to see if I could get it to run. So I understand the joy of doing what others can't do.
The main point is that if you want to turn someone on to Linux you may have to advise them going with a distro that you personelly hate. A distro that is boring, slow and as interesting as a breathMINT.

I want to jump on the Linux bandwagon bad, even bought some books and plan on some aggressive self teaching, but I'm entertained by some of the youtube vids that hit 'on the nose' where Linux users/forums and ideals alienate a great many people, I found this quote somewhere else and it struck a cord with me (funny because unfortunately its all too true).

If you ask the question, you'll get an army of vocal assholes belittling you for not being able to search through the poorly written man pages to figure out that you have to add 3 lines to your .wtf file, or create a .WTF.d directory underneath your .whyIsThisFolderHere configuration folder, and that will work fine, if you're using version 1.4.2.1a of the OpenBITEME.so library, but if you have the 1.4.3.7b or later version, you have to switch the order of .WTF.d and .whyIsThisFolderHere directories.
Then you realize that youā€™re running 1.4.3.1, which isnā€™t discussed anywhere in the help docs, and when you mention it people either ignore you, or mock you for not just applying the 13 patches from 5 git repoā€™s, 7 subversions servers, and a CVS repository stored on a someoneā€™s private NFS server in Belarus, and why donā€™t you just use Gnome Desktop, or KDE, or some other hideous UI layer on top of this crap that was clearly designed by a 16 year old kid who just finished binge watching every Transformers movie, and doesnā€™t know what normal feels like, because heā€™s been drinking Red Bull every 2 hours for the past 4 months.

I feel if I can successfully install Arch on a few different hardware platforms, I will have come a long way- but even if I were to get hit by lightning and somehow have a Wendell level of Linux knowledge, I don't want to get that 'Linux elitist' attitude, much like I won't bash an obvious newb on a car forum for saying "V4" and not knowing what a EMU is, vs. an AEM FIC, MS3Pro, Infinity, piggy vs standalone, sequential injection, N/A vs. TC vs. SC etc etc. If your hella flush... that I can't hold back on haha, the flaming will commence.

Setting up an account for spotify literally takes more typing than it would take to just go "sudo apt-get install spotify"

For real. You don't even have to do that, there are GUIs for that shit. Beauty of linux is you can do it however the fuck you want. Not only that but you just have to go to the repository and it's usually there (not always though, and not always bleeding edge). On windows you gotta go scowering the internet for an installer that you don't even know if you can trust sometimes.

Now that's not to say linux is without problems of course, and those problems require someone who is willing to put in the elbow grease to fix them when they come up (if they do), but there are a lot of things that linux gets right. I have yet to have my parents bitch at me about the computer not working after I threw linux on it, but when they were running windows it was a shit show. Not to say that I'm necessarily disagreeing that the average user wouldn't just be better off sticking with windows if they have critical apps that just don't work on linux, but yeah.

1 Like

Try LinuxLite. It is good starting place, and the forums are very helpful.

This is the first time I've heard of LinuxLite- I'll try it out in a VM. I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as my native OS on a laptop, then have Mint Cinnamon, Kali, and a clone of Ubuntu to try things on before doing it to the native OS, and Kbunut in a VMs. I need to try LinuxLite, Suse and regular Mint.

The UI isn't the problem. You start running into problems when beginners find out it won't run most of their games. That, and the part where you become 24/7 tech support anytime something goes wrong.

1 Like

And that is not how it is with people who use Windowws? Most people who use a computer don't even know how to fix Windows, so that is a bs argument.

1 Like