Linux friendly 1080p60 webcam - suggestions

I’ve gotten a new job recently that is completely remote so I need to upgrade my video conferencing setup.

I’m also interested in switching to Pop!_OS before I start the new job to improve workflow. Most things should work fine but I know webcams can be weird. I am a ‘power user’ but I just want things to work on this machine.

I want to look amazing so I’ve been looking for a webcam that meets the following requirements:

• 1080p60
  • Under $300
  • H264 or H265 hardware encoding
  • Works with most video conferencing software on Linux (at least Zoom, but also Skype and Hangouts)
  • Optionally also supports 4k60 but I might be dreaming here

The Logitech BRIO looks almost ideal but I am unsure how it performs in Pop!_OS and Zoom. It apparently won’t output 4k on Linux, can anyone confirm how well it works on Ubuntu or Pop!_OS?

Are there any alternatives that could achieve what I want? Capture cards and the like? Will probably have to be USB-based though, since this will be likely on a laptop.

Thanks!

The Logitech brio or the c930

1 Like

Yup

Unfortuntely the C930e only supports 1080P @ 30fps, I believe.

Logitech BRIO meets my requirements but I just want confirmation of how well it works in Linux

1 Like

I thought the c930 had a revision that bumped its specs?

I can’t seem to find anything backing that unfortunately.

Also I think the Logitech Brio doesn’t have hardware encoding. If it meets all other requirements I guess I could let that slide.

I’ve found this link useful in comparing the Logitech offerings

You might want to roll the brio Logitech pretty much has cams down pack

Be careful as Logitech sometimes uses proprietary H264 streams for it’s UVC protocol.

The Razer Kiyo (MJPEG 720p60) works great on Linux, but comes oversaturated OOTB.

The only MJPEG solution at 1080p60 is a HDMI camera + a Avermedia ExtremeCap UVC. That can work even at USB 2.0 speeds.

HDMI camera + Avermedia ExtremeCap UVC may be the best solution… will be sacrificing a bit of portability though hmm