Linux Freezes Windows Doesn't

Have you tried a GPU stress test in Windows?

I’d run furmark for a bit.

I’m really suspicious of the condition of the GPU itself.

Oh crap it just froze even with open source drivers

Hmmm.

So I’ve found my notes and my 660 ti died after the freezing and I never found out what the problem is (according to notes)

I never tested it on Windows though, so I can’t speak to that.

Switching to Windows, will try furmark.

1 Like

Good, I’d run it for like an hour. If it doesn’t die, the GPU is probably good.

I’d still try to switch the GPU. That artifacting looks veeery suspicious.

1 Like

Alright so I ran furmark for about an hour and no errors occurred.
Now I physically removed the gpu and I’m running Linux Mint off a iive usb. I think at this point I should just use MATE or Xfce if I want to keep using the graphics card.

Let’s see if this solves your issue, before we start making major changes like that.

If it’s a hardware concern, there are a couple ways we could go about remedying your issues.

1 Like

I’ll install mint on the drive and use it for a while

1 Like

Did you have the iGPU disabled in BIOS previously and enabled it now or was it on all the time? Just asking because if it is set to switch automatically it could be the iGPU as well (or the drivers). Depending on how Windows is set up, it might be using dedicated only at all times thus masking the issue

2 Likes

IIRC MATE is derived from gnome also (or was it unity?)

try xfce, might be ok

Gnome 2, yes.

2 Likes

In the graphics configuration in the bios I had it set to AUTO, I can try PCIE

Ok, good luck. I had a similar issue some years ago. (Big) Overclock on the CPU caused the iGPU to go nuts and crash.

Isn’t there an option in the Bios to shut off your IGPU. It sounds to me the Nividia 660 TI is going bad. Maybe the reason the desktop doesn’t freeze in windows is that the BIOS is enabling the IGPU instead of the Nividia graphics card. If you do decide to purchase a new graphics card I would go with something new not used.

That did the trick. Thanks to everyone who helped out @SgtAwesomesauce @Trooper_ish

3 Likes

Glad I could help. You might want to check why your iGPU is acting up. Only, if you have too much time and are in the mood to tinker :wink: Or if you really need it.

1 Like