Linux-compatible wi-fi adapter?

Does anyone know of any current-gen wifi adapters that are compatible with Linux? Preferably supported out of the box and not needing a custom compiled kernel/module…

It’ll be going into a desktop so no worries about BIOS whitelists and that sort of nonsense.

My general suggestion would be get a wireless bridge and/or get a device that’s compatible with OpenWrt to act as one. USB devices are in general unreliable and the very few PCIe NICs that works well are few, Intel are among the better ones if you only plan to use it as a client.

Intel AX210 chipsets work rather well in Linux.

It requires linux firmware that’s included in most distros, though you might have to install a package, like in the case of Debian’s firmware-iwlwifi.

I’m using an AX210NGW for Bluetooth 5.2, but I tested the wifi.

Do you have any preference on chip manufacturer, such as Broadcom or Qualcomm chips?

I recently found out some older Broadcom chips are supported out of the box in Fedora Workstation.

always success with intel

2 Likes

I have been running an Intel AX210 for a year on Fedora and has been solid.

2 Likes

Any ALFA using an RTL chipset will do. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0752CTSGD/?coliid=I3G5ZVZD6U13GL&colid=64BAQ2Z7TLC6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They work with linux right out of the box.

Not wanting to wait (ah, immediate gratification is so very sweet…) I bought this thing from a local computer shop:

Despite only being promised Windows and Mac compatibility, imagine my surprise when it worked with Fedora 36 out of the friggin’ box.

Further analysis reveals it is using the rtw88_8821ce driver/module, which I believe indicates a Realtek chipset.

$ lsmod | grep -e 8821*
rtw88_8821ce           16384  0
rtw88_8821c            94208  1 rtw88_8821ce
rtw88_pci              36864  1 rtw88_8821ce
rtw88_core            208896  2 rtw88_pci,rtw88_8821c

1 Like