Linux boot issues

Hi Level1 techs.I am currently experiencing an issue with my motherboard. I am repurposing an old Ivy bridge computer as a linux desktop device. It’s a 3570k with a Asus Z77 motherboard. I have been jumping between distros, mainly Ubuntu20,04 och manjaro xfce.

my bios configurations have changed between uefi secure boot and Legacy CSM. right now I have formatted the SSD but I still find stuff left in bios that shouldn’t be there. does anybody know how I remove it?

In boot override I have manjaro och uefi os. I can’t get it to disappear.

I had the same thing happen to a server I was working on at work. I deleted the old entries using the following commands in a Linux terminal as root.

efibootmgr -v

To list the entries in stored on the motherboard.

efibootmgr -b 1 -B

To delete entry number 1.

4 Likes

this solution actually worked.

That is not necessary at all, not to mention that he already formatted his solid-state drive.

I understand how UEFI works. Apparently, you have missed the fact that the original Extensible Firmware Interface was created by Intel, not Microsoft, and that the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface specification is handled by the UEFI forum, not Microsoft alone.

UEFI supports Linux perfectly well. If the UEFI implementation of a given motherboard manufacturer does not entirely match the UEFI specification, meaning that it is buggy or lacking in some other way, then that is on the manufacturer, not the UEFI specification. If the UEFI specification truly did not support Linux, how would Dell and HP be preinstalling Ubuntu on some of their laptops and desktops, like the Inspiron on which I am typing this very moment?

This is not to say that Secure Boot is not an issue on distributions like Gentoo, or when simply using mainline kernels on Ubuntu, but that goes beyond the UEFI specification, given that some laptops do have Ubuntu’s key in their motherboards’ keyrings. Self-signing the kernel builds and rolling that key into the motherboard’s keyring is not that difficult, all things considered, since rolling keys into a motherboard’s keyring is not difficult to begin with, and self-signing is generally not that big of an addition to the process of compiling everything to Gentoo users (due to circumstances surrounding my new laptop, the aforementioned Inspiron, mainly its stubborn screws and my lack of a proper screwdriver, I am currently on Ubuntu, but I am normally a Gentoo user).

Have a nice day!

1 Like

Looking at the membership list, there are tons of members, not only Microsoft and hardware manufacturers, but also Linux-focused organizations.

Companies of note:

• Linaro
  • SUSE
  • Oracle
  • Canonical
  • Red Hat

Yep, only supports Windows, entirely controlled by Microsoft.

Also, interesting to note that Huawei’s membership has been suspended. :thonk:

I didn’t know that Huawei was a member.

According to the list, they were.

Sure he wasn’t referring to the European Union Firmware Interface?

4 Likes