Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Happy birthday/Sunday.

Enjoy it and Iā€™m well on my way there as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is anyone here being forced against their will to listen to Linusā€™ comments?

Heā€™s free to speak his mind as far as Iā€™m concerned.

7 Likes

whatā€™s even sadder is many people are too afraid to try linux because they donā€™t want to appear ignorant!
its not hard people! just different. My neighbour had never heard of linux but when her new laptop was hijacked by a nasty virus and couldnā€™t be restored, I forensically wiped the system, brute forced the bios and installed peppermint linux.
after a few lessons she wont go back to windows ever.

1 Like

Linux kernel is also getting a Code of Conduct. SJWs are here boys.

4 Likes

thatā€™s what makes him great. Linus gives tough love to coders which is respectable.

not always. Steve Jobs was a well documented asshole, yet Apple Prospered even after his death.

But other than that. Iā€™ve always felt he should of taken a break a long ass time ago. you can see his patience wearing thin with a lot of the non-sense within the community. he would be more ā€œLikeableā€ had he given constructive criticism in less condescending manner.

2 Likes

Linux is different because Linus is different. Personally, I think thatā€™s a Good Thingā„¢. Thatā€™s why I use it. I donā€™t want Linux or the Linux community turned into a safety blanket for snowflakes. Plenty of options already exist for folks like that.

Apple died the moment Steve Jobs died. If Linus Torvalds is turned into a wet nurse then Linux will die also. (And by ā€œdieā€ I mean, of course, to lose the essential ingredient that allows it to stand apart.)

Linux has an edge because Linus is an edge. People that live life near sharp edges have to accept that once-in-a-while they will get nicked. The door is always open for those who donā€™t like the sight of blood.

I, for one, hope that Linus enjoys the break, and comes back energised ā€” ready to continue the battle against the soulless minions of orthodoxy in his own, raw and brutally honest style.

Sisu, Linus ā€” sisu!

6 Likes

Well heā€™s been dealing with random shit for the last few years. The best one so far being the guy trying to steal money from the linux foundation via copywright law loopholes. I donā€™t blame him at all.

Oh no how awful. Someone loses his temper at a bunch of idiots that arenā€™t listening to the person running a project and he decides to kick the bucket for a minute.

How awful.

WhaTEvER shAlL wE dOoO

5 Likes

Can we fork the kernel?

:T can I slap the shit out of you.

The answer to both is: You can if you want, but put the effort in for the product you want out of the whole process.

2 Likes

Letā€™s refrain from this language.

Wellā€¦

atleast he doesnā€™t say people are pedo on twitter.

Torsla

The android kernel is a Linux fork.

The kernel is open source, so anyone can fork it.

Their are some custom Linux kernels out their.

1 Like

No if we get a SJW Code of Conduct.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s it.

I agree that Linus is good because of the whole Sisu mentality. I didnā€™t realize there was a word for it, thatā€™s what I was trying to convey. Thanks!

Often times, Sisu comes across as an attack.

Letā€™s not get out of control here.

I dunno. Letā€™s see what happens. A CoC isnā€™t universally a bad thing. It can define a lot of important etiquette that would help things go smoothly (although, they normally do as is, so whatever).

Yes, Iā€™m a bit worried about it, but lots of popular Linux software went full SJW and hasnā€™t gone to shit yet (looking at you, Mozilla), so weā€™ll have to see.

2 Likes

If anything, that is the problem.

If you hold everything back you get one big nuke eventually. EVentually, with so many people losing their

poop

over some god damn scribbles on the screen, linus could just say ā€œfuck thisā€ and call it done.

And again, I wouldnā€™t blame him. He can do whatever he wants at this point lol. But there has been discussion of what to do as an heir to the kernel project in total as of recent. I imagine heā€™s getting away from some of the problems heā€™s been dealing with as of late and trying to get some things straight for himself.

Though, positive news, NVidia is supposedly picking up freesync. So he might just be off having a massive bender with his family in celebration.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll use a bus instead.

Thatā€™s awesome! We should make a different thread to talk about this.

3 Likes

Well I mean it makes sense that theyā€™d be forced to at this point. TVā€™s are getting freesync now for the consoles to all use it.

But yes, another thread for that.

2 Likes

Not always. People have left the platform because of his hostility.

So if you donā€™t like the attitude of the Linux community, youā€™re a special snowflake. I guess that includes Wendell and company, since theyā€™ve done several videos on the unbearable toxicity of the Linux community?

Everything is so polarized and extreme today. Youā€™re either a ā€œreā€ or a ā€œSJW cuckā€ if you want people to treat each other with respect.

These arenā€™t ā€œa bunch of idiotsā€, these are people that have given their time to contribute to a project. Something you claim to value, from what I understand. Heā€™s lashed out at individuals.

This thread is full of examples of what Iā€™m talking about.

ā€œLinus can do what he wants! We donā€™t need people that canā€™t handle tough love.ā€

Such bs. You donā€™t belittle someone and put them down for ā€œtough loveā€, you do that because youā€™re an insufferable prick.

ā€œWeā€™re going to get a SJW code of conduct! I HATE SJW!!!ā€

Meanwhile, in reality, none of that is real.

6 Likes