Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

I think the succession question is a good one to have. We want to make sure that a transition, should one be necessary, would go smoothly. I dunno that he wants to be part of that talk though. It’s kinda like specifying next of kin on your bank accounts, or writing a will. It’s a bit macabre…

1 Like

And I do believe he’s aspergers, or similar. For some reason I remember him mentioning it.

1 Like

I dunno, you’d think that would catch some headlines. I can’t find anything from searches.

Its called stress. And stress + ASD does really bad stuff to your brain, especially if you don’t understand how to handle some people very well.

Theres more to being human than “ur meen”

1 Like

Watch his university speeches. I have to go to bed for work (get up at 4AM) but I remembersomething along those lines.

I don’t have that much time to devote to finding the truth of his mental condition. More importantly, I don’t care. If he is, fine, if he’s not, also fine.

2 Likes

I agree, and giving Linus a pass but none of the other people he’s shit on is hypocrisy and irony at its finest.

Maybe his personality camp will help him be enlightened like yourself.

This is true but its made the kernel what it is. I do enjoy the fact that he is super upfront about bad code and the like though

4 Likes

Theres strength in being brutal. Not everything has to be so kind.

7 Likes

I think that’s exactly it. I just want Linux Daddy to keep being Linux Daddy. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I read the phoronix link, but didn’t read anything else. Is there more to it?

I was just about to post the actual link but you beat me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe he feels the same and wants to take time off because of everyone’s bullshit and scrutiny over nonsence.

2 Likes

Just read through it. That makes sense.

If he wants to change, cool. Frankly, I don’t really care either way, I guess I’m just one of those people who takes “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” to an extreme and since the kernel is working well, it doesn’t seem broke to me.

2 Likes

He explains exactly why he wants to take the break in his email, if you want to read it.

1 Like

He’s always been that way since Linux 1.x in the 90s IMHO (and yes i started with Linux 1.2 very briefly then 2.0x). Even prior, Look up his discussions with Tannenbaum (spelling?).

Just that back then people would take it as tongue in cheek and/or productively or whatever.

That sort of thing doesn’t fly anymore unfortunately in the millennial age where everyone gets a fucking trophy for taking part.

edit:
part of the reason the kernel is so good is because of his no-bullshit attitude. Same reason Apple’s user experience is/was so good: Jobs was an asshole when he had to be as well.

Trying to convey just how disapproving you are or whatever via text over the internet is difficult. Flaming on mailing lists is largely because of this difficulty. IMHO.

3 Likes

Relevant: CoC change
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

The Code of Conflict is not achieving its implicit goal of fostering civility and the spirit of ‘be excellent to each other’. Explicit guidelines have demonstrated success in other projects and other areas of the kernel.

Here is a Code of Conduct statement for the wider kernel. It is based on the Contributor Covenant as described at www.contributor-covenant.org

It’s key to recognize that these things exist and spread because they are effective and beneficial in practice.

1 Like

Depends on perspective I suppose. If a news article popped up every time I was harsh to someone id probably either evaluate my responses or just stop responding at all.

I doubt he wants to be in the limelight, especially when it comes to criticism over his personality.
Why do people feel he should conform to any social conduct simply because they dedicated time to his project at their own free will?

3 Likes

I believe that if we see a year of the Linux desktop it will be because some charismatic character and a bunch of loyal dedicated followers build it.

This type of software architecture depends on a benevolent dictator and subordinates that know when the time to advise and when the time to execute is.

That benevolent dictator architect with Steve jobs levels of obsessiveness is what we need for the desktop experience. As we have had with the kernel team. We have all the other underpinnings already.

For any faults he may have, Linus as a leader has lieutenants that know when to follow orders and when to offer input.

I followed the recent security patch thing closely. Linus’ action and abrasiveness there was measured perfectly imho. It’s a kind of tough love.

While some things that Linus is concerned about can certainly improve, and there maybe is something to him having misread a situation, I hope the tough love is not lost going forward.

13 Likes

:+1:

This sums up my sentiments perfectly.

I have a few bones to pick with the Contributor Covenant, but it’s not that bad of a start.

3 Likes