Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

Do you have a link? I’m interested in reading it for myself.

It was a podcast. Just got home gimme a sec.

Lets see I found this but… Dammit where the hell did that podcast go?

1 Like

He said, “We don’t want the CoC [Code of Conduct] to define the tone of the discussion, I think we’re actually much better off if we can just try to see the CoC as a last resort that never even gets invoked, simply because we encourage people to try to head any issues off before they escalate.”

Now that the CoC is literally part of the Linux code, Torvalds shared that he doesn’t mind the CoC itself. “It’s the ‘bike shedding’ around it and the discussions that I tend to really find not very productive,” he said. “Everybody has an opinion on it, and there is very little agreement or objective measures of what the right CoC is.”

Looking ahead, Torvalds said, “I want to leave it alone, and wait until we actually have any real issues. I’m hoping there won’t be any, but even if there are, I want the input to be colored more by real and actual concerns, rather than just people arguing about it.”

Kroah-Hartman continued, “Let’s let things settle down and not worry about hypothetical situations that might possibly happen in some way or another as we can debate that type of thing endlessly (it’s a good skill we have which makes us great kernel developers, but it not always transferrable to other environments). If real issues do come up in the future, we will address them then, as we always have the option to change and revisit things as needed.”

Good to see the actual relevant people having calm and rational approaches to the matter. I miss the the old times when this was the norm and not the exception.

5 Likes

Same. It’s too bad everyone is so impassioned about this thing.

But I get it, I really do. The whole system was running acceptably, and then they decided to change things. People hate change. (I hate change)

I’m more or less done with this issue, until something substantive comes up.

4 Likes

Change is constant, we just fail to see it when we participate. As soon as we find our niche we start to see the change happening around us instead of because of us.

Thing is though, now the CoC is actually embedded in the project will:

and

Actually be possible, or will the CoC override that?

And If it doesn’t (i.e., the official project CoC is enforced in ALL cases of dispute or allegations of harassment) you just know the next thing will be call-outs about favouritism regarding whether or not the CoC is applied based on race/colour/creed/orientation/boys-club membership/paid-favours/etc. - either real or alleged.

Dangerous ground. IMHO if Linus wanted the power of discretion for the situation as required, he just lost the “right” to it. Because any calls he makes will be scrutinised.