Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

Ya I dunno what that is about…Satanism never killed thousands in crusades, he’s a good boy.

She’s also not a Satanist by any of the screenshots he took. It’s just a poor ad hominem.

Go listen to the latest episode of ask noah. You’ll learn a lot from dt I think.

1 Like

This conversation has been getting more and more circular. Either come to an agreement or agree to disagree.

This is a general warning, not at anyone in particular.

2 Likes

It was perfect, One line was all it needed “be excellent to each other”, like e=mc^2 how did that type of CoC push devs out?

I don’t think we should be generally policing behavior or interaction between those communities. Because who gets to decide what is acceptable and what isn’t? Outside of obvious things like harassment, ect. I surely wouldn’t want it to be the Covenant author who doesn’t seem to believe in free speech.

It’s authoritarian, because it requires enforcement onto people, and onto/by leads. Failure to enforce it results in punishment. The previous code of conflict doesn’t have those issues. I surely lean more towards limited oversight and more towards anarchy for these kinds of things, it’s like policing tweets, which is already crazy.

The daughter thing is just some crazy conspiracy theory for now…

1 Like

I consider that patently wrong for two reasons:

1. Beyond knowing that “Some guy called Linus Torvalds created Linux” the “mainstream” wouldn’t have the foggiest idea who Linus is or care how he behaves. Mainstream Linux users don’t mess with the kernel, don’t subscribe to the LKML, and don’t watch any of the presentations/interviews that Linus gives. Kernel development is a different world that the mainstream simply doesn’t care about.
  2. The people that have “significant financial bets” placed on Linux’s continued success are grown-up, serious people that only care about its technical merits. Interpersonal drama on the LKML is of no interest to them whatsoever.

People don’t install and use Linux because Linus panders to snowflakes and their fragile egos, they install and use Linux because of some combination of it being a) free, b) open source, and c) performant.

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” — Albert Einstein

1 Like

I will save some of this for this week’s news but… two things. One, this
http://code-of-merit.org

Read that first. Then let’s talk about this another way. What if Linus was a flat earther?

And what if Linus is even more prolific and perhaps the world’s best programmer? But he was not militant or argumentative about what he believes re flat Earth, and otherwise his goals are aligned on brining the best durn open source os to life, ever? In fact he would never mention such things in any official communication or mailing list traffic.

What does it say about ourselves when the genuine good work of others is amplified or diminished by matters othagonal to the work itself?

I’m given to understand Newton was a fairly nasty person… should Leibnitz be retroactively credited for calculus instead because of that?

What if instead of Linus it was Alex Jones who, again, would leave his other beliefs out of it but was otherwise genuinely very pleasant to work with and highly competent? And had some amazing and popular project that was a really unassailable work of technological prowess and art.

I’m not sure science, or the state of the art… knowledge… cares where it came from.

If that triggers you for gods sake don’t look into the history of the us nuclear program… Lol

10 Likes

So what if Linus Was Terry A Davis?..RIP.

That was deep.

It depresses me that this effort has had probably hundreds of man-years of effort put into it in contrast with that we couldn’t manage proper medical attention for Terry davis.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat irritated people are putting so much effort into this. I read the “code of conduct” and all the conclusions i could end with was, behave like a normal human being.

the code of conduct itself is just basic rules of any community based fora.

As for Linus taking a break. I’ve felt lately he needed to distance himself from the development of the Linux kernel cause he was incapable of giving people constructive criticism. yeah he did come off as somewhat of a dick e.g Nvidia (though that was justified) the grsec security patches complaint, and his hostility towards poor en-efficient programming. but I think he has worked himself to tears which is why I believe he is stepping down.

2 Likes

I’m not sure anything could really have been done for him as a long term fix given current medicine.

But really I think yall should do a special/solo video, a breaking news kind of deal, should totally hit up ESR for comment as well if that’s an option.

1 Like

My concern with this is that it’s all a bit of a nothingburger in reality, so I wouldn’t want to bring too much attention to it, since we already have a 400+ post mild dumpster fire going on on this forum alone.

4 Likes

See, that would be too simple. And also, normal human beings are flawed, they have bad days, they get pissed off - or they simply come from different cultures, where such brutal language is less of an issue. Take australia for example. In the mining industry “'sup cunt?” is a reasonably common greeting that TWO GOOD FRIENDS might say to each other. Yet if either of them were to use that word in another context, or perhaps towards another person, it would be deemed massively offensive.

These people want to essentially use a code as a lever to punish people for behavior that they disagree with. Whether it is targeting themselves or not. Because they feel that is more important than the actual output of the project. Perhaps because they have little actual technical ability and have no other way to “contribute”.

My thoughts are essentially:

• it is and always has been Linus’ baby
  • Linus has the say on what is right or wrong in his project
  • if you don’t like either the way the project is run, or Linus himself, you are entirely free to fork. It is free (both as in beer and as in encumberence) and open source.

If the masses think linus is a douche who can’t be worked with, then guess what? The new fork of the kernel takes over.

if the masses can actually put on their big boy/girl pants and understand that people get extremely passionate and perhaps abrasive when it comes to protection of their life’s work, and decide to stick with Linus, so be it.

Linux kernel development is not a paid job (well, not by Linus at least - he is NOT your employer) where you signed a contract and have an expectation of a safe or cuddly work environment.

Now, this whole code of conduct thing is entirely seperate IMHO from Linus taking a break to learn empathy. As per my first post, i think that is more about Linus coming to the realization, independently that he has pissed people off, and seeing them face to face is uncomfortable.

Thus, to make IRL meet ups less awkward, he’s going to try and be a better person. Good for him. But some third party drafting up a code of conduct to enforce for HIS PROJECT is complete and utter BULLSHIT.

2c.

6 Likes

There is the apple without steve jobs. Bland phones and every options from XS to XR and size matters.

But I think linux has some pillars in being bigger than linus kicking the bucket or relaxing in his old age.

Well if Im wrong then everyone and there server will be screaming why hack me :frowning:

1 Like

what will we do when linus is…

gone?

K.B.O.

1 Like

Why does this whole thing reminds me of gamergate?

2 Likes

Is there any other Linux personality that ever appears in any mainstream media other than Linus Torvalds?

No.

Was The New Yorker interested in the technical features of the Linux kernel?

No.

It is Torvald’s personality and Torvald’s behavior that draws mainstream media attention, if and when it happens. He’s covered the same way any other powerful tech exec is covered. Their technical sides are of no interest to mainstream media consumers.

And what have been the moments when Torvalds has been most likely to show up in media the mainstream sees? When Torvalds does something like flash a middle finger at a hardware vendor or publishes an obscene abusive screed on a public mail list.

And you are wrong in using a quote you attribute to Einstein to excuse displays of toxic male immaturity as principled opposition to “conventional prejudices” and refusal to “pander” to the grownups you choose to call “snowflakes”.

1 Like