Linus : " bad code shit" rant

I doubt it, considering how extremely choosy with what goes into the kernel. code needs to be minimal, effective and not broken. No one is more technical in that aspect than Linus Torvalds.

HA watch someone come around.. I hope he can find one though. Maybe thats why he's sitting in the code maintenance position. I bet you he's looking for someone with same or nearly identical ideals

Once again, I doubt it, but we'll never know till he passes. I will say this, when he's in his death bed or dies, or whatever people are going to question the future of Linux. and not like it will go away. but more of how do we improve this or how do we continue this project without Linus type of discussions.

Even more so than people do today. Though I think that will spur the lookout for a second linus. There are a lot of technical people out there. Its just about finding the one who wants to do it

Someone needs to write a book on Linus' personality and behavior and study it word for word. on a sidenote I'm sure if Steve Jobs were alive right now, he would be pissed off at what Apple is currently doing for example.

HAHA dude steve jobs is writhing in his grave right now. I am so happy its the end of apples era. Finally we can see more diversity and maybe a little less locked down environment in the phone markets

Apple isn't going anywhere. contrary to popular belief Apple was once an innovated company. their innovative era died with Steve Jobs.

This is the era I was referring to. Maybe I should have referred to that

for example the Macbook air was the first of it's kind. the reason we have ultrabooks is because of that product.

yes but Its time for some fresh ideas. Apple cant make them all and I am a little tired of seeing the apple design. Id like to see some more cool futuristic type designs you know.

Shit gone off topic lets move to the lounge

I can sum up the thread then :P lol with this

Linus is brilliant. The guy could probably translate anything into C and make it several times smaller and more efficient. He really knows what the fuck he's doing. And I know it's kinda hard to hear him brag about it, but the truth is that he can. BUT, as he said several times, he only does this kind of stuff in technical terms. He will never see a bad piece of code, hunt down who wrote it and say this person is shit and should never submit a kernel patch again. It's never in a personal conflict. He will, however, say the content is shit, not hesitating one bit of what he has to say.

Keep in mind though, that this is a pretty normal behaviour in the kernel development process. They criticize each other's work all the time, but always in a technical way.

For anyone wondering, the "new and improved code" is in line 587

EDIT: I found this video that I think fits really well in this context. I'll let Linus himself explain the difficulties on the development of a huge open source project such as Linux. The audio is a little flaky, but nothing too bad. Enjoy!

1 Like

Do you not think this happens inside of other organizations or companies? It's just that Linux is transparent and Torvalds doesn't care who knows what he says. As others have said, I believe this is needed occasionally and actually helps the project

You're Reheating cold french fries". I'm made my point. and I'm well aware of what happens everywhere else. doesn't mean he has to be a narcissist. it's a poor personality trait.