Linus : " bad code shit" rant

I always thought Linus was a much more mellow guy, I guess he was having a rough day when he saw this.

I read half the comments so I don't know if anyone said this but as to @Kat while you can write the same program in a number of ways for someone to say that writing shit code doesn't make you wrong.... well thats just wrong. the point being is this you can build your car anyway you want but yes there is a wrong way to build a car you can make your burger how ever you want but there is still a "wrong" way.. no one puts the buns in the middle and the meat on the outside with the cheese inside the bun etc... you get me? also yea If i created something even with it being opened source I'd put a person out there once they fuck up my code esp when the code was already as efficient as it can be will get ripped a new one. yea sometimes updating things to new code or just in general isn't always the best way to go about things and there is a reason why what if this persons code broke something else in the kernel what would happen you'd bitch about it being broken and guess who gets the blame linus does. if you know something well be a dick all you want but admit when you're wrong if you built something yourself no one will ever tell you shit about it cause its yours

1 Like

Nope totally disagree.

There is a huge difference between a simple mistake and being so stupid that you should be voted off the planet.

99 times out of 100 linus usually only addresses the later.

And to be frank, the people who deserve to be voted off the planet NEED to be freaking voted off the planet.

For some reason these fucking stragglers keep running for political office.

3 Likes

Or get famous on the Internet...
So I am not the only one who think Linus is arrogant and stupid? Nice to know...

I'm sad... There was something in Linus, that made me watch to begin with. Now that something is gone and I have seen the transformation from small YouTuber with passion to what he is today. And it makes me sad. He was passionate, now he is arrogant a hole...
Unfortunately JayzTwoCents follows his steps really closely...

Linus Torvalds is the creator of the Linux kernel. Linus Sebastian is a YouTube show host........

4 Likes

You win sir. lmao

Yup... I guess I'll go away in shame now and never open my stupid mouth... Can't believe I'm that stupid...

1 Like

Programmer jumps to his death after Linus rant.

1 Like

You refer to the guy that kept working on his project after he got told in a nice way that it is shit? and after 2 or so years.. submitted it again.. and than got told its shit in a direct harsh way? Maybe that is why Linux got straight and mouthy? to stop them wasting years and than getting suicidal?

I know this day and age we all are supported wth cotton balls. I dont mind a good old call out of shit work when required.

Linus has always been like this. Mistakes need o be pointed out, and you aren't the first to complain either. Let the guy live his damn life. Why do you get a say in what he does or how he acts? He's only human, and if you can't laugh at that then there's something incredibly wrong.

I gave up on this thread a while ago. I don't care what people think about how i feel about Linus. should mistakes should be pointed out? absolutely. but in the fashion he does them in? absolutely not. and making a mockery of someone's mistakes is not going to make them "get their shit together". negative reinforcement is not the answer to things.

Meh. Cultural thing. Would not care if I'd be the guy he rants about.

Also, nobody wants to talk about the code in question?

I'm team Hannes; Linus is wrong this time! Not only is Hannes code more readable than Linus "fix", it's also less fragile: The order of the addition is important because of integer promotion which could already overflow the first addition, making the check fail.

Generally I'd suggest to always use compiler intrinsics especially for complex stuff like overflow checks! So much can go wrong if doing it manually and if it goes wrong it's probably a security vulnerability.

1 Like

I understand where you're coming from, but he didn't distinctly point out the developer. Negative feedback helps a lot even it isn't cutesy. You learn better, and to not make such a mistake again

Edit: NM. It looks he did in fact point out the dev... Either way

People are that sensitive? Lol

1 Like

I rely on Linus's hard work EVERY single day. Who am i to judge.

Are you kidding me. Linus is the guardian angel of linux. He is the codes gate keeper. If your code is shit it wont be submitted. The very reason linux has remained relevant is actually probably because of him holding onto the project and may he continue to do so as long as he lives. If he is not as brutally honest as he is the kernel will become a pile of heaping shit.

I love honest people or what some people call "abrasive" truth is here folks.. abrasive honest people usually care when they say something.. otherwise they would not say anything or bother to object. Think about that the next time your come up against an abrasive person or what sometimes is mistakenly called "an Ass Hat"

You're 'Reheating cold french fries'. Once Linus dies, the Kernel's legacy / security will probably die with it. of course someone is going to continue maintaining the kernel. but the kernel's legacy of being minimal, and secure will die with Torvalds.

And so will being a hard job for myself to make sure i keep all the BONE HEADs code out of my kernel. I hope he chooses a successor thats just as hard on people as he is for I feel if he does not. Linux as we know it will be a thing of the past.

In fact if I ever wanted someone to judge my code Id likely choose him. I would like an honest opinion for a change. not politically correct BS