Limiting FPS

I have a question when it comes to limiting FPS and the relation this has to the monitor’s refresh rate.

Many people consider 60fps to be a tarzet that shpuld be achieved. On old screens, this was exactly the refresh rate of the screen (60Hz), while for newer ones it often is half of the refresh rate (120Hz).

So, if I want to limit the FPS on a 100Hz monitor I should pick 100fps or Hz/n with n being a natural number smaller than Hz, e.g. 50fps.

Likewise, on a 144Hz monitor one coule pick 144fps or 72fps.

Is this right or am I missing something? Also, do you think 50fps on a 100Hz screen would appear smoother than 60fps on a 100Hz screen?

Frame limiters are typically in fixed valuations, on per-game basis [ex. 60-90-120]
60 is a sweet spot, for most styles of gameplay, where its less frenetic

1 Like

When there is some sync protocol available, you just need to land somewhere in the supported refresh rate the monitor supports.

1 Like

Assume the FPS limit can be set at an arbitrary value like with RTSS.

I was using FreeSync on my monitor but I have noticed screen flickering, especially at lower refresh rates with led to me disabling it.

So, for the sake of this argument let’s assume no sync method is available.

even regular vsync should eliminate tearing if you are under the refresh rate
but if that’s not true then you should be fine with both 1/2 and 3/4
if you have 100hz 75 FPS should be fine

1 Like

So the 60fps sweet spot cones from tearing alone? Thus, with vsync enabled the sweet spot is simply what I define as personal sweet spot and is monitor agnostic?

50fps on a 100hz screen will sync to 50ish so you will only see mild tearing with no vsync enabled.
60fps on a 100hz screen will see moderate to extreme tearing with no vsync enabled.

enable vsync on both configs and the game will limit both to 50fps even if you select 60fps if the screen doesnt have variable refresh.

if the screen does support variable refresh then 60 will look better than 50 on a 100hz screen. as the screen is able to show more fps and sync the refresh.

1 Like

Depends on the controller and GPU.
50 FPS on a 100Hz panel may just result in frames being repeated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.