Lian Li DK-05: Making a Case for Sit/Stand Desks + New Contest Info! | Level One Techs

Full Article:

Very nice. I messed around with a sort of similar idea a couple years ago- making a wooden mixing desk with rack spaces and a piece of wood sticking out the back for mounting clamp-style monitor mounts.

The challenge was to make an entire desk from one or two pieces of 3/4" maple, although I never actually built it.

Anyway, nice desk. Lian Li seems to make a number of niche products that other manufacturers don’t dare to make. Gotta admire them for it.

1 Like

Build idea: 1950X + 5x Vega 64 as a compute-oriented Linux workstation, and a 7700k + 2x 1080ti as a gaming rig. Ultimate no compromise battlestation :slight_smile:

don’t forget to include in-desk 40gbit infiniband networking

no, the plan is a pcie switch between systems. kek

Nice looking desk from Lian Li.

I have a modest amount of experience with computer desks, having a Red Harbinger Cross Desk. It isn’t a sit stand combo, but is similar in the respect of being able to build up two systems inside with full water cooling loops etc.
However it has a few of the same pitfalls, where if you have to get inside to do anything, even plug things into the back of the pc, you have to clear off the desk and remove the glass.

It does have some mount holes on the back wall in the center, so you can sort of mount a monitor arm there if you design some kind of interface block. I 3d printed an interface plate to bolt the camp part of the mount to the back of the table. Also printed some arm extensions to mount 1080 monitors in portrait mode either side of my 39inch 40k screen. Didn’t work too well! PLA test prints flexed too much, and monitors could not hang in the air. Space co arms look great, next time I have a spare G to drop on them…

However, I like the idea of mounting a HDMI port on the front! I should try and do that… At the moment, the rift cables need to go to the back and in through ports to the motherboard. It cuts down the range a bit for the cameras.

Lian Li make some cases with drawers to hold the internal components. I tend to think this will be a better idea, as long as the cables on the back are routed in such a way so you can pull the drawer out at any time, but don’t have any experience with them so don’t really know how they work practically.

1 Like

I wonder if a capacative touch screen would work through that entire pane if you had it pressed right up. Could have (if you were a masochist) a capacative keyboard right in the desk. Just like the CEO’s desk in Tron.

Anyone looking for a semi DIY solution for a sit stand desk should watch for a sale on Monoprice. I bought a motorized base from https://www.upliftdesk.com/ a few years ago and built a top/shelves for it. A friend of mine liked the idea and purchased a similar base from Monoprice and I’d say the quality is very similar. Depending on the sale they’re running you should be able to grab one for around 300-350 shipped.

If you want a good solution for some aluminum materials for fabrication https://www.8020.net/ sells aluminum extrustions/connectors that are basically like an erector set for adults, and they’ll cut parts to length. It might be a good option for shelves/monitor support for a DIY desk. I’ve been meaning to use it to expand/improve my current setup. Never enough time for all the projects in my head.

That is exactly what we did for the next sit stand video coming. :stuck_out_tongue:

The aluminum extrusion is maybe not strong enough. I love that stuff but the C option supported by the top and bottom of the lian li is the most structurally sound option given the constraints

Standing Desk compute cluster edition eventually? would be interesting to see just how many rigs you can stuff and network inside a desk(although that sounds more like LTT material)

Yeah I don’t know how you would go about attaching the extrusion to the Lian Li case, at least without a lot of drilling and added weight. I thought the oak support piece was pretty clever.

You mentioned in the video some accessories for mounting the PC/keyboard tray. I just used a pair of standard bearing drawer slides to mount a board to the underside of the desk. For the PC I picked up one of these:

The feet use standard 1/4-20 threaded rods. Pretty easy to turn it upside down and bolt it to the bottom of the desk, plus you get some adjustable shelving. Not the prettiest solution but it doesn’t look terrible, and it’s really great for airflow. The only negative is that I can’t bottom out the desk’s full range of motion any more but meh…

I’ll be interested to see what you think of the commercially available solutions.